Thread: Speakers Comparaison

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    i liked the v30's, they sounded crisp and loud. as im battling muddyness with both of my cabinets (behringer and a cheap marshall) i may try these in one of my cabs..
    That should work; I tried that with a friend's muddy Behringer 4x12" cab with some Jensens and one overly shrill 2x12" cab with V30's that I had - we swapped the speakers around and both sounded better! Those darker, middy Jensens were just right for the 15" all-tube amp that had some ugly bright overtones when cranked, and the V30's nicely battled the deadness of the Behri cab.

He's swapped to T75's now, though.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    That should work; I tried that with a friend's muddy Behringer 4x12" cab with some Jensens and one overly shrill 2x12" cab with V30's that I had - we swapped the speakers around and both sounded better! Those darker, middy Jensens were just right for the 15" all-tube amp that had some ugly bright overtones when cranked, and the V30's nicely battled the deadness of the Behri cab.

He's swapped to T75's now, though.
    im glad i took a sec and listened to those different speakers, i was almost dead set on eminence texas heats, but after hearing the v-30's , those are for me.. i even tried stuffing the behringer with badding and all it did was deaden an already muddy sound, very disappointing. where is the muddyness coming from? is it the cabinet? the speaker?ive done endless reading on the affect of cabinet material, as it ends up for every 1000 opinions, there was 1000 different ones..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

im glad i took a sec and listened to those different speakers, i was almost dead set on eminence texas heats, but after hearing the v-30's , those are for me.. i even tried stuffing the behringer with badding and all it did was deaden an already muddy sound, very disappointing. where is the muddyness coming from? is it the cabinet? the speaker?ive done endless reading on the affect of cabinet material, as it ends up for every 1000 opinions, there was 1000 different ones..
    I dunno - it's pretty heavily built with non-resonant materials I guess, and the internal space is also probably less than ideal for higher transients to be reinforced. But it's a very sturdy cab and with bright speakers it's quite good for the price IMO. Seems to be best favored by metal players, maybe because it has little coloration and not too much high end.

Mind you, it always depends on the amp...some amps it seems just won't play along with a 400W Marshall cab for instance while others thrive on top of 'em.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    I dunno - it's pretty heavily built with non-resonant materials I guess, and the internal space is also probably less than ideal for higher transients to be reinforced. But it's a very sturdy cab and with bright speakers it's quite good for the price IMO. Seems to be best favored by metal players, maybe because it has little coloration and not too much high end.

Mind you, it always depends on the amp...some amps it seems just won't play along with a 400W Marshall cab for instance while others thrive on top of 'em.
    yeah the price is what lured me in for such a big cab(heavy too). as i look back now i wished i didnt get something so big,as honestly ive never been able to turn it up enough to get the speakers rockin enough to give a honest opinion on the whole cab set up.when i saw it in zzound's catalog all i pictured was every 80's hairband video,lol and got lured in.. i did all my reading on cabinet material affects on sound for the purpose of building another cabinet as ive dealt with carpentry and fabrication for many many years, however i couldnt come to a conclusion on the best material to use..birch plywood being most pointed to..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yeah the price is what lured me in for such a big cab(heavy too). as i look back now i wished i didnt get something so big,as honestly ive never been able to turn it up enough to get the speakers rockin enough to give a honest opinion on the whole cab set up.when i saw it in zzound's catalog all i pictured was every 80's hairband video,lol and got lured in.. i did all my reading on cabinet material affects on sound for the purpose of building another cabinet as ive dealt with carpentry and fabrication for many many years, however i couldnt come to a conclusion on the best material to use..birch plywood being most pointed to..
    I have a front loaded, closed back VHT 1 x 12".it is really boomy and bassy. Is your cab open back? I'm thinking of making mine open back.

Like you, I'm considering building a cab. I will be doing an open back (or convertible back) 1 x 12". There's a good plan for 1x12" here: http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I have a front loaded, closed back VHT 1 x 12".it is really boomy and bassy. Is your cab open back? I'm thinking of making mine open back.

Like you, I'm considering building a cab. I will be doing an open back (or convertible back) 1 x 12". There's a good plan for 1x12" here: http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html
    both of mine are closed back, but its really only the behringer thats boomy errr actually it sounds like, almost echo'y or hollow, there was a few speakers in this comparision that had somewhat the same sound. what material will you use?