Thread: What has the guitar taught YOU?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I thought it might be interesting for us to look inward a little and see what we've learned from playing guitar, be it in a bedroom or band.
    It could be what we've learned about ourselves, about others, about life, or you-name-it...
    Deep philosophy to humor and beyond.
    I wouldn't say playing guitar per se, but all that it entails, bands and whatnot.

I've learned so much about life and people playing with various people, gigs, experiences...and, also, I suppose guitar playing gave me something to do when I was a teenager and at a loss with what I wanted in life.

It's never failed to be something I can always fall back to, something that I can trust to be able to do well enough to satisfy my needs, provide a hobby and good entertainment. And also a background for doing something with like-minded friends.

Which brings me to probably the biggest lesson I've learnt about people in general when in bands and such...there is no such thing as completely one-way beneficial relationship.

I've understood that whatever people do, they ultimately do it for themselves, however altruistic or selfless the actions may seem. I guess it's a bit cynical way of looking at things, but I do think people will never do something that doesn't somehow benefit them in the end. It's always give and take.

You don't have for example friends you don't benefit from. The benefit may simply be that you enjoy their company - nothing more - but still there is a benefit for you in being their friend. Conversely, there is no benefit or pleasure in simply amassing fortunes, but it becomes a true asset only when you use it to the benefit of others, the people you love.

My view of life and its meaning is basically based on that - I think the meaning of life is to enjoy life and just get whatever you can out of it. But not on the expense of others, quite contrary - I find that the best things in life are shared and experienced with others. You can't be happy if your friend is in need, or your child lacks something. The whole meaning of it all is to try and make things as good as you can for people you care about, and yourself, and enjoy those things as well as you can. And try to make sure also the next generation can continue enjoying their lives maybe even a little better than yourself.

And yes, I think it all comes from guitar playing :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned that it's better to have a passion that there isn't always time for than to have more time and no passion.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    My view of life and its meaning is basically based on that - I think the meaning of life is to enjoy life and just get whatever you can out of it. But not on the expense of others, quite contrary - I find that the best things in life are shared and experienced with others. You can't be happy if your friend is in need, or your child lacks something. The whole meaning of it all is to try and make things as good as you can for people you care about, and yourself, and enjoy those things as well as you can. And try to make sure also the next generation can continue enjoying their lives maybe even a little better than yourself.

And yes, I think it all comes from guitar playing :-)
    deeaa, you get it! You have mastered the all to rare, yet fundamentally important roll in life of a person who makes to world better by what they do and feel.
    Think of how much better the world would be if more people did the same, instead of getting all bogged down in fruitless pursuits, selfishness, and ego trips...

The guitar and music are one of many conduits of which we can discover or spread positive stuff.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've learned that:

three notes played well, is better than a hundred that you can't hear,

creative differences are a good thing,

guitar zen can be achieved by yourself, but its way better when experienced with others,

A guitarist can make any guitar sound good,

Silence from your audience can be better than polite applause,

There is always something else to learn.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

That even a little improvement can go a long way.

That what you thing you like and loves changes as your skills improve or mind opens up to new things.

That there is no right or wrong way to do or try to learn something try them all until you knows what works best for you. (THIS IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS FOR ME DAILY!!)
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    That there is no right or wrong way to do or try to learn something try them all until you knows what works best for you.
    Very true. I'm finding the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY, even if is just chords and a few notes. It's more soul and heart than a non-player ever could feel when you make the strings ring on your own.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar playing taught me that the guitar player always gets the girl.

Except it never worked for me!

Sometimes you launch into a song with the band, and when the last chord faded away, you look at each other and everyone thought : "Wow!" That is what guitar actually taught me.