When playing guitar as a kid - it was all about hard rock/heavy metal...Metallica, Megadeth, Antrax, Testament, Slayer etc.

Over the last couple of years spanning my return to music (to guitar about 4 years ago, then to bass 2 years ago, then back to guitar 2 months ago) I have tried to change my tune - appreciate different music, desire to play different music than the aggressive/angry music I grew up loving - mostly to gain the acceptance of those I'd play for (family, guitar teacher, etc). I've tried lots of blues, some country, some pop folk. But it all seems to be a struggle...I just don't "get" the music from a playing perspective..and listening to that music just doesn't move me.

But when I listen to hard rock be it from the 80's, 90's, or current stuff (new Metallica , Disturbed and Shinedown for example) I really feel that music. I want to play it, I want to learn everything I hear.

I think I just have to accept that I like heavy metal and hard rock, and that while some blues and other genres are nice to listen to they just don't move me.

40 years old and stuck in distortion land...!! I don't think I can force myself to like other music. I'd rather learn AC/DC than BB King. I hate to say that because I know what BB King has meant to music overall. But you can't argue with what you really like right?

So what do ya think....just give in and play what I really like until I get tired of it (maybe never) or keep trying to expand musical boundries in spite of the internal resistence..??