Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
Over here I think most houses are more or less pre-fabricated. You just need to dig a hole six feet deep and fill it with plumbing and concrete and insulation etc. infrastructure, then you get custom built wall pieces from the factory, put them up, add rafters, then cover everything with whatever you like for surface materials.

I was actually shocked when I was in the U.S. that even upstate N.Y. where it's just as cold as here in the winter, many houses seemed to be built quite flimsily compared to how most houses are built here. I mean, the walls seemed at best half the thickness of what we use, and often there were mere single or double glassed windows, when we always have 3 or 4 layers. And the whole house might be built with no basement/deep concrete base that extends under the earth frost (3-4 feet), just on stilts of some kind. I suppose the cold time of the year is much shorter there or something, not warranting for more insulation.
And that's what makes America great - cutting costs at any cost in order to increase the botom line.....