Excellent, Spud, that's how I started...EZ Drummer that is. Now have upraded to Superior and also have a whole bunch of VST synths and Amplitube, which really took the pain out of recording guitars.

Cubase can be daunting if you dive deep into it - last time I had real problems was when I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't route Superior's drums to separate Cubase channels, but finally figured it out with my drummer - turns out it was just a matter of using the correct MIDI track for output.

Anyway, been using Cubase for, what, six years now, and lovin' it...you should see some of my projects that originate from like 4 years back and have gotten so complex it looks like a total mess even to me with obsolete tracks and instruments here and there and all kinds of crap, although I keep cleaning up too...but at some point it can get confusing which insert is affecting which output.

I guess I have one tip: I suggest using group channels right at the start, makes for MUCH easier final mixing, and lets you use volume curves on individual tracks and still control master track volumes freely. I use nine group channels usually.

Also, my bad habit is using too little FX sends, I tend to use inserts only not just for compressors but also all FX and that can use up CPU time something bad...