Thread: I need input on playing style

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Oh deeaa that is a little difficult I guess.
    To be honest, I like your loose approach and
    Rock n roll feel in general, but this time the
    Conservative approach serves the song better. Here' why.
    Listen back to clip one, it seems to have not the
    right timing, it's not exactly nailing what this clip
    needs. I'd try to go with a healthy mixture of both.
    Don't get me wrong, your playing is as cool
    as always, but the truth lays in between for me.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the second solo. It seems better suited for this particular piece. It seems to flow more organically from the chord progression, which by the way, I like your play there quite a bit.

I think you can work some elements of your preferred style into the solo and still keep it enough like the more "accessible" second version to work.

I wouldn't say I prefer accurate execution in solos, in fact, I can tire of that rather quickly, but there are other ways to add color to the pallette while still playing melodically, first and foremost being tone. It's more a matter of what a particular piece calls for.

Given those two solos, I'd pick the second. That's not to say it's not possible for there to be options 3-100 of which I may prefer a more experimental approach.

As to your comfort level with playing it in a different style, there's question of whether or not you need to play it the same way every time.

I don't know the context of this piece. Are you recording it and concerned with what your "official" solo will sound like or is it something you'll be playing live? If it's the latter, you could just play it any given night however you feel like playing it. The artists I often find most interesting to see/hear live are the ones who don't play the songs the same way every time.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer