Thread: Building a 1x12 Thiele/Small guitar cabinet.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    I wouldn't use a 9v battery, it is DC and could possibly overhead the voice coil. You need and AC source like a wall wart, a filament transformer or Variac.
    What is the purpose of this 'break-in' ? Are all speakers broke-in is some fashion or another (e.g. stereo speakers, tv speakers, &c)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    What is the purpose of this 'break-in' ? Are all speakers broke-in is some fashion or another (e.g. stereo speakers, tv speakers, &c)?
    The break in loosens up the parts. The consensus is that speakers sound better after being broken in. Some speakers can sound shrill and "stiff" and breaking them in can tame the ragged high end. This article explains it better than I can:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin..._Speakers.aspx

Stereo speakers are a different animal. They have synthetic cones and surrounds, which do not loosen up over time like the paper cones in guitar speakers. Stereo speakers are typically played clean with no distortion in the signal, their purpose is to reproduce recorded sound. Guitar speakers generate music and there can be lots of harmonic distortion in the signal.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    .....Stereo speakers are a different animal. They have synthetic cones and surrounds, which do not loosen up over time like the paper cones in guitar speakers. Stereo speakers are typically played clean with no distortion in the signal, their purpose is to reproduce recorded sound. Guitar speakers generate music and there can be lots of harmonic distortion in the signal.
    Or as I like to say "Hi-Fi speakers are about reproducing the sound. Guitar speakers are about creating the sound"

I've never really tried to break any in myself though. The speakers in my 4x12 were made in the 60's so I'm assuming they were broken in long before I acquired them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Or as I like to say "Hi-Fi speakers are about reproducing the sound. Guitar speakers are about creating the sound"

I've never really tried to break any in myself though. The speakers in my 4x12 were made in the 60's so I'm assuming they were broken in long before I acquired them
    Isn't this akin to the 'worn' guitars? Why not wear them in yourself by natural use instead of speeding up the process by synthetic means.