Thread: Peavey Windsor100 head power section 6550 mod...

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not posting a reply for so long. Here is how I ended up solving my problem.
    First I changed R-5 in my head from a 1 to a 2.2k resistor(Bill did this in a windsor mod thread, but changed R5 back to stock resistance in his mod to retain gain levels). It gave me cleans for days in the preamp.
    After looking for a while at OT's I decided that a whole nother Peavey windsor can be bought for the same price as a new OT, so I found another one on craigslist and traded my old TS-9 pedal even for it so no cash lost there. I then stacked the two heads together and ran the effects loop line out of the modded windsor into the return new one. This allows me to use the new amps power section as a "slave". When I change any setting on the top amp it comes through the slave amp sounding exactly the same. I also rewired my bass cab so that each 15" speaker has its own input jack. I can now power each speaker independantly and give it the the full power of each amp which equals tons of head room. I can still get distortion, but ONLY when I dial it in.
    Fixing this problem gave me enough cinfidence to tackle the broken Traynor amp that I ranted about in the earlier post. Turns out that all I needed to do was open it up and cut the burned traces and hard wire the 3 broken conections that were arcing out. Now the Traynor works too. Thus reuniting me with my beloved fire breathing Traynor and leaving me with 2 great backup amps.
    -
    Bill, thanks again for your advice. You are a very knowladgeable and helpful individual.
    Last edited by ttenroc; October 4th, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Bad Grammer