That's a nice looking SG. I'm sure the black chrome will look great and am anticipating seeing the pictures.

I have an Epi Tribute LP 1960's neck that has coil tapping - series and parallel, one push pull pot for each pickup separately. Playing this thru my Big Muff Pi USA into my Hot Rod Deluxe special ed. it sounded very excellent and the coil tapping sounded very excellent as well - whereas the coil tapping on all of the other guitars I have is not impressive, in my opinion. Maybe it is the Gibson USA '57 and '57 Plus pickups that make the difference. That Tribute is a very beautiful guitar and plays and sounds super excellent; I'd say as good as my solid maple cap Gibson LP Studio Faded with Burstbucker Pro's - I'll have to A/B these two guitars more to see what I think, but the Tribute is, to me, a very special guitar that exudes a vibe that is almost metaphysical and when I play it it is awesomely gratifying. I think Epiphone did a better job with this one than they had actually planned and it is, in my opinion, a very honorable Tribute to Les Paul. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. It would not surprise me if it is a superior guitar to many of the low end Gibsons, all things considered.

Having played the Prophesy SG with DF pickups I can see where you would probably like that biting EMG-like tone. I didn't care for them because they sounded to harsh, not smooth like the SD JB and '59 combination or the Alnico II Pro's. I probably need to try one of these EMG type guitars thru my 6505+ and see what I think. I tried my Ibanez ART300 with the Ibanez active humbuckers thru it and the amp definitely got hit way harder by the guitar than with passives and it roared. I should try that some more and try an EMG fitted guitar thru an ultra high gain amp at the music store, maybe today, to see what I think. That might be the key to getting the best EMG sound.

I agree, definitely not a strat, haha.

Looks like you have a fine project guitar to dress out there. Good luck with it.