View Poll Results: What is your favourite Marshall amph?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • JCM800

1 8.33%
  • JCM900

1 8.33%
  • Silver Jubilee

3 25.00%
  • JTM 45

0 0%
  • Vintage Modern

0 0%
  • JVM 100

1 8.33%
  • TSL 100

1 8.33%
  • DSL 100

0 0%
  • JMP Super Lead 100

2 16.67%
  • Bluesbreaker

2 16.67%
  • Other (name in your post)

1 8.33%

Thread: Favourite Marshall Amph?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Me, I never really got the Jubilee craze. It's much like a JCM800 2210, it also has diodes for distortion but they're a bit differently in the signal chain and the amp tonestack is geared towards cleaner tones I understand. They don't reportedly have a choke either because there apparently was no room in the combo chassis but later done for many Marshalls to save on costs, and it's making them a little less 'organic' and tighter, cleaner sounding than 800 series. The triode switch is cool, but from what I remember it more like just eats away at tone than really lower the volume. Not that it's bad to have diodes for drive, no need for pedals then maybe :-) but for amph purists that's a big no-no.

Of course, when it sounds good, it _is_ good, but that's not the classic Marshall sound to me. I think the classic Marshall sounds are that of the Bluesbreaker, the kinda nearly Voxy headroom-less crunchy cleanish roar, and the EL84 breaker with the super-organic dark mutter, and definitely 2203&4 50W AC/DC crunch that is behind almost 100% rock sounds prior to the 90's.

Yeah, the 50W single-channel all-tube 2203 amph surely is the Marshall I think is the most iconic one easily...no other amp sounds quite the same. I often regret selling the JMP 50W combo, because I felt the JMP-1 rack system was so much easier to handle and use. But I voted for the JVM, because it's such a great combination of 'em all. Preamp sections from four of the classic JCM amps and all tube with no diodes...it is been made a compromise, though, so I'm in the process of modding it to have one channel basically identical to JMP and one channel identical to JCM2204 by adding a choke and changing some caps and components for their correct values. Maybe over the weekend I can get the soldering done and hear for myself :-)

Here's a clip with my old JMP...it just sounded so huge with the EMG85's...in retrospect, so much bigger than the 4x10" rig it's against here:

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Me, I never really got the Jubilee craze. It's much like a JCM800 2210, it also has diodes for distortion but they're a bit differently in the signal chain and the amp tonestack is geared towards cleaner tones I understand. They don't reportedly have a choke either because there apparently was no room in the combo chassis but later done for many Marshalls to save on costs, and it's making them a little less 'organic' and tighter, cleaner sounding than 800 series. The triode switch is cool, but from what I remember it more like just eats away at tone than really lower the volume. Not that it's bad to have diodes for drive, no need for pedals then maybe :-) but for amph purists that's a big no-no.

Of course, when it sounds good, it _is_ good, but that's not the classic Marshall sound to me. I think the classic Marshall sounds are that of the Bluesbreaker, the kinda nearly Voxy headroom-less crunchy cleanish roar, and the EL84 breaker with the super-organic dark mutter, and definitely 2203&4 50W AC/DC crunch that is behind almost 100% rock sounds prior to the 90's.

I agree on the classic Marshall tone with the Bluesbreaker, I currently own the 1974x which is a superb amp, no EQ just Volumme and a tone knob. This may be a one trick pony but i get all the tone by adjusting my guitar knobs. One thing it is missing is the reverb tank, but i can live with that (just add a reverb pedal). As for pedals all you really need is a booster to overdrive the amp.