First choice is whether you need a condenser or a dynamic mic.
You need a condenser mic when you mic from greater distances and very dynamic material; drum overheads, vocals, pianos, general recording of sound.
Dynamics are good for everything else but picking up from distances and very high or low and transient material.

Generally I would say a Shure 57 is the best cheap all-round mic. You can use it to record vocals with a popscreen, and it's kinda an industry standard and very good for guitar and most drums - yes you can use it even for a kick. And it can take a helluva beating.

A 58 is the exact same mic with a different grille for a better proximity effect and a built-in popscreen for live vocals. Many raspy-sounding or screaming vocalists like to sing to a 57 though because they get 2/3rd inch closer to the diaphraghm for maximum vocal pressure before feedback. I myself also sing into a 57 and practically eat the damn thing sometimes.

There are better mics for many uses and also cheaper ones, but IMO everyone should have at least one 57 or 58. They just work very well for everything, superb all-rounders. Many a better-sounding mic may fail at kickdrum or maybe handling noise or just mechanical strength...that's why I'd go with a classic.

If you need a condenser mic, one of the best starter single mics are Rode NT-1s. Plenty of choice therein. If you mainly do studio vocals etc, a large diaphragm one is good, but for general recording, maybe a pair of small tubular condensers in stereo is a better choice.