Thread: Lesson Using Diminished Sounds (& Melodic Minor) On The Blues

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Great lesson Rob! I always liked that diminished approach in the Blues and make use of it very often - most poeple think of Malmsteen's neoclassical style when hearing diminished and harmonic minor......Anyways, I think it is utmost important to get a feel for this "strange" sound, which means that in the beginning when you apply it it will sound a little bit like playing scales, but you have to hang in there until it flows naturally :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Great lesson Rob! I always liked that diminished approach in the Blues and make use of it very often - most poeple think of Malmsteen's neoclassical style when hearing diminished and harmonic minor......Anyways, I think it is utmost important to get a feel for this "strange" sound, which means that in the beginning when you apply it it will sound a little bit like playing scales, but you have to hang in there until it flows naturally :-)
    Thanks! And yes I completely agree, with any new sound you have to spend a lot of time getting the physical fingering part down but more importantly you have to work on really hearing that sound in a musical context. As you said, it's only when you start to really hear it that you can use it in an organic musical way.

Aside from the neo-classical use the revelation for me was when I realized the relationship between a dominant chord and a diminished arpeggio - that really opened things up.

It's great that you use the diminshed sound on the blues.
    Rob Garland

TrueFire Classroom Guitar Babylon & Workshops
    Latest Course The Guitarist's Pentathlon

Web-Social Media-Newsletter
    http://www.robgarland.net

TrueFire Instructor - Mesa Boogie Artist - D'Addario Strings - Super Blacks Picks by Hell Guitars