Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
I guess you made the right choice having many guitars doesn't necessary push you to play more and if you feels it's cheap well.... I can see why some bluesman were playing old cheap japanese guitars (like Hound Dog Taylor for ex) because they was maybe not much choice at the time but right now why having thoses ????
I will disagree slightly here with you Jipes. The Japanese guitars (both regular and lap steels) were hit-and-miss affairs. Certainly not top-of-the-line gits but probably at least "student quality" for a beginner or someone on a budget. The "magic" of the Japanese guitars was in their pickups and if you were lucky enough to get good pups in those gits, they snarled and growled with the best pups around. The emphasis on "snarl and growl". Same happened here in the States with Supro lap steels and their string-thru-pickups. Absolute MAGIC. Take a Supro lap steel string-thru-pup and marry that to a Japanese Teisco gold foil pup and....VOILA.....a Coodercaster.

The old Japanese Guayatone lap steels have a very good reputation as a vintage lap steel, especially depending on your style of music.