Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go tube or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Wattage of a tube amp can be deceiving. Tube amps are rated at "clean" power, yet most people like to drive them to the point of breakup to get better responsiveness (is that a word?) out of them.
    In order to double the volume of a tube amp, you need to increase the rated watts by ten times.
    So, if Warren buys his half watt amp, which is .5 watt, my Valve Jr, which puts out 5 watts, will be twice as loud, and someone else's 50 watt Marshall, or Traynor Blue, or what have you, will be twice as loud as my Valve Jr....
    Great point. To decrease loudness by 1/2 you have to go 10 times less actually if I recall correctly. A 10 watt amp is 50% as loud as a 100 watt amp if I recall correctly.

I found this which explains wattage:

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/audi...apowermada.htm

There are better sites out there that deal with guitar amplification specifically, but I found that one first

Check out www.amptone.com. I believe that is the site that really covers this topic.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

"You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i have heard great things about this one (the 1/2 watt version)...haven't got around to getting one yet but i am going to.....

http://www.guytronix.com/home.html

ww
    Too much $$$. Can't beat the 5 watt Epi head. The cabinet they make for it is schweet too and real birch! The whole package is just way too cheap and makes a killer modding platform.

I was going to go with a guytronix. Just too many options already available for far less money. That and I wasn't bowled over by how my friend's sounded.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

i have an epi jr combo....just want to try and build an amp myself and thought this one looked cool. I have heard really good things about the amp but have not heard one myself (of course the way i play tone doesn't really matter! )

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12