Thread: First gig story...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, still love 'em. I am glad they sell them at Costco now. Tone, when is your birthday? Mebbe Jimi75 too. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Great stories from all, I hope to someday reach that point. Question for Spudman. How long have you been playing and what do you play?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Great stories from all, I hope to someday reach that point. Question for Spudman. How long have you been playing and what do you play?
    About 33 years. YA I know, I should be better than I am.
    I play guitar, bass, sing and write. I'm assuming you are asking about instruments and not genre.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yep, still love 'em. I am glad they sell them at Costco now. Tone, when is your birthday? Mebbe Jimi75 too. ;-)
    Ah yes, the crocs. One of the things I learned at thefret.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, that's a lot of talent. By the way what genre do you play?

Ok, I'll ask what the heck is crocs?

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, that's a lot of talent. By the way what genre do you play?

Ok, I'll ask what the heck is crocs?
    Simple....loud.: Ok,ok rock, funk, blues, experimental.

Crocks? Uh oh. Since you had to ask you are now required to don the appropriate. You must now venture forth to Costco and procure your very own..plus one pair for Tone.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Simple....loud.: Ok,ok rock, funk, blues, experimental.

Crocks? Uh oh. Since you had to ask you are now required to don the appropriate. You must now venture forth to Costco and procure your very own..plus one pair for Tone.
    Man, you are one hard a$$ judge tonight.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Ole man, I walked into that one! SHOES! Do I really have too? I think I can remember my brother wearing those ?????:
    I like your choices of genre.
    Maybe I learned something else tonight. The advise I got for my practice sessions has already helped me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ole man, I walked into that one! SHOES! Do I really have too? I think I can remember my brother wearing those ?????:
    I like your choices of genre.
    Maybe I learned something else tonight. The advise I got for my practice sessions has already helped me.

pssst. . . . they are the things on my feet in my gig pics above.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I can't believe I wrote it that way! Thanks for reposting and sorry dude for my harsh comment ;-) But these crocks...man.....you know...

Here's the story of my first gig with my first band. We were invited to support the local metal heroes at that time. This was only because we had hundreds of friends and schoolmates to come to our gig, so these guys thought it would be a good idea to let us do the support so that they could sell their demo.

Our singer lost his voice and because he was to nervous, so we had to give him Japanese oil to regain his voice. The gig was a typical beginners gig. We ran out of songs pretty soon and had to play some of the songs two times. We had an instrumental so that everybody could show his ability : on the instrument. Our timing was horrific and our drummer only knew the ***** batch rhythm at that time, but in two variations: Slow and fast!

Now here comes the highlight of this evening:
    I played so many solos that the guitarist of the other band was totally pissed. My solos were bad but my colleagues from school celebrated my solos like if they were played by Kirk Hammett. Now the other guy felt like he had to prove that he is the best, so he came on stage and wanted a guitar battle. He plugged his Charvel Strat into his Marshall and played in front of my nose. I didn't know what was going on, but the kids were either luaghing or booing at him. I played some silly pentatonic stuff and used my wah wah and the kids were cheering. Now, some 15 years later I ashamed of what was going on their and still feel sorry for that poor guy, because he blew me away with his playing :-)

By the way, this could have also been the second gig, don't know if we played 1 or 2 parties before....but it is definitely a happening of the mid 80's.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi's story brings up some questions:

I assume that there are often ego wars between the guitar players from different bands.

For you road warriors how well did you get along with bands that you shared the bill with?

Ever jam with other guitarists after the show?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Jimi's story brings up some questions:

I assume that there are often ego wars between the guitar players from different bands.

For you road warriors how well did you get along with bands that you shared the bill with?

Never had a problem with other bands. Sure we jammed with otehr bands that we played and toured with. This one guy was really an exception and I do not understand his reaction.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I did a tour to support a record that our singer and other guitarist had put out on the East coast. We worked with different bands some of the tour but there was usually one or two that were constant. We all got along great, respected each other for what they did and at the end of each night who ever had the headline spot allowed the other band's members to join in on an encore or two. Usually it was just singing but a couple of times there was still an extra amph on stage. Usually the previous band removed their back line before the other bands went on.

Other bands that would come see us play or were on the same bill all got along fine. We really supported each other and were friendly. However, when the lights went down we all tried to out do each other.:

I loved playing first and letting other bands go on afterward. While they were playing we would be stealing their women.:

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi's story brings up some questions: For you road warriors how well did you get along with bands that you shared the bill with?

I've had great experiences with other musicians, and have never ran into big egos. Our gig opening for the Poverty Plainsmen last summer was an awesome experience and they were a great bunch of guys - very supportive and encouraging. Since the gig was in our drummer's hometown, it was "our" crowd and they wanted to do whatever they could to make sure we had a good night. Quite the opposite from what I expected from a major headlining band.

My earliest experiences were playing with my Dad at local jams etc. When he started to do the country music festival "circuit" in the early 80's there was more jamming around campfires and campers then there was on stage. Good times, good times I learned SO much about rhthym, timing and picking up on songs you've never played before from sitting in on those sessions.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Someday I shall post one.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Steve, I can't believe I wrote it that way! Thanks for reposting and sorry dude for my harsh comment ;-) But these crocks...man.....you know...
    No way Jimi!!! I thought it was totally funny!!! That is why I reposted it!. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson