To be fair the relics cost more to produce because theyre hand rafted by master builders not the run of the mill guys.

Also the custom shop reproductions do not have to be beat up relics. They can be bought as relics (beat up, resembling a played/gigged vintage), closet classics (less beat up, resembling what an actual vintage would look like had it been stored) or N.O.S which is the same but using all new looking parts as though they had discovered original vintage stuff hiding in the warehouse.

They are more expensive not becase theyre better guitars, theyre not, but becuase there is something more to them than just an instrument to be played. They cost more becuase they represent more... and becuase they cost more to make.

Like with most products I have found that spending double does not get you double the value. You spend 100% more and get maybe 10% extra, the more you spend the larger this discrepancy becomes.

American standard stuff is great, play it, I imagine you will love it.

Alternatively if you are not a snob check out the squier range, particularly the squier deluxe stuff which is supposed to very good indeed. I have heard that some of the squier deluxe strats can be as good as the mexican fenders.