Thread: What's special about Washburns?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Washburn has been around a long time and has a reputation for putting out quality instruments.
    Washburn HAS been around a long time but their reputation is not all virginal.
    In 2000, after a 5-year investigation, Washburn pleaded guilty to two counts of fraud, sentenced to five years probation, and ordered to pay a $1,000,000 fine. They were caught in the act of directing their employees to systematically remove the "Made in Korea" labels from instruments, which were then repackaged and relabeled to indicate that they were made in the United States.
    http://www.cbp.gov/custoday/nov2000/tye2.htm
    Just because a company has been around a long time doesn't mean they automatically deserve your implicit trust.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I've owned two acoustics and one acoustic/electric.

I would say in the $650 and lower category Washburn offers a very competitive guitar when comparing it against a lot of guitars in the same price range and comparing some that might sell for as much as $1,200.

I purchased my EA20SDL used and liked it, but not enough to keep it and used the money to buy an electric guitar. It is now in the hands of CB and was purchased as a gift from Shiner. Both have commented on a number of occasions that they really like it. The guitar model has always received good reviews.

My WD32SW was a solid wood dreadnought and new it was $325 (W/O case) and I think it was one of the best deals for a solid wood guitar out there.

The last one I had was a J28SDL (solid top) Jumbo. A real booming sound and a great guitar to play. It was selling for $685 w/case, I got it new for $325 w/case on E-bay. It was one of those that managed to get under the radar. I probably would not have paid full price for it, but it was a good guitar.

If I recall, the EA20SDL was made in Indonesia and the other two in China. All were well built and had no flaws, except none of them arrived with anything close to a decent set up.

On the high end, I cannot speak first hand, but I've heard some very good reviews.

I have heard people comment that their Washburn's in the price range of my old ones would give a $3,000 to $4,000 Martin, Gibson, or Taylor a run for their money - I don't buy it. Although I've never owned any of those, I played them at stores and IMHO, there is no comparison. The Martin, Gibson, or Taylor blow the lower end Washburn's away.

I played a $180 Fender acoustic (all laminated) and I was surprised how good it played and it certainly would give Washburn's D10 a run for its money.

Based solely on the past models I've owned, I would say Washburn is a safe guitar to purchase, but they are not the BEST.

As for electrics, I almost bought one of the Idol series - great look and good reviews.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that some of the Washburn Electric are a nice feeling guitar to play , some of the cheaper ones as with any need pickup replacements. I just wonder if a high dollar Washburn acoustic is really as good as say a similar priced Martin, or Gibson.