I have often pondered the same, Eric.

I realize I enjoy buying and getting material things and gadgets hugely, but now and then I also get this feeling when I have gotten new stuff...a kind of moral hangover.
Sometimes it has been rather bad, even. I remember way back when I was a student, I got some extra money, and I blew it all and then some just to get dual SLI graphics cards (Voodoo 2 at that time, the predecessor of the modern SLI idea back in the 90's)...I felt terrible for days after spending all that money purely for gaming enjoyment, and something I really did not need. Despite it was no problem, it really was 'extra' money.

Back to guitars. I try to keep it down some. I have only ten at the moment, and really that means only four really good electrics, plus one I'm pondering of either rebuilding completely and converting to hardtail, and two acoustics, a bass and two self-made curiosities.

But, is that too much? I have this need to ditch something, and it's almost as big an itch as to get something new, and/or to rebuild that Yamaha into a clone of my Davette.

Pedals - that's easy...I've sold off all of them except the wah and the tuner plus a noisegate. I don't need the rest with the JVM. Oh actually I kept the Marshall compressor though, I figured it might come in handy some day. But I don't need the OD pedals etc. any more, so off they go. Why keep them? Over the years I have owned likely at least three dozen pedals, and I have likely made more money selling them off than buying them - I pretty much buy all my gear second-hand and only when good opportunity arises, like a pedal for $20 I know I can sell some day for $50. And I have.

Lately I have actually been pretty much exclusively playing the modded Prophecy SG I got quite recently. It's a helluva nice guitar now, and I suppose since I played gibson scale for well over a decade in bands, I just feel right at home with it, and the neck and everything is just perfect for me.

Thus I have pondered getting another SG, and if I do...it'd have to be another Prophecy, an EX this time though. Because Gibsons just don't compare - at least I haven't met a comparable model with such a fast neck and 24 frets with Gibson, and IMO it would make no sense to buy a $1500 guitar and then swap the pickups anyway...so a Prophecy would seem to be the only one to get.

However, that would land me again with way too many guitars.

- I can't sell the hotrod Squire; nice as it is, it's my punk beater nobody will pay good money for, plus I definitely want to keep a maple neck axe.
- I cant see the Stratoblaster; it's a superb Strat with a great neck my good friend built - again resale value is way low compared to how great a guitar it is.
- I definitely can't sell the Davette, since it's pretty much a perfect guitar 4 me, if strat scale though - still it is the most stable and easy-playing and unique guitar I could have.
- Won't sell the Prophecy either, as it's becoming my main axe rapidly
- Can't sell the handmade ones of course, rather keep them as ornaments if nothing else.

That leaves the Floyd-equipped Yamaha beater...I don't really need it. It could fetch maybe $160 or something. I could sell it, or swap for a nice 3/4 size electric in hopes either of the boys will at some point get into playing ...but then again it has a great neck, and it would make for a great base for putting in a thick maple cap for instance and hardtail coversion, sand and re-lacquer the neck and all, some fret work...would make a great project and I'm sure it would become a great guitar indeed...just like the davette, only this one is Gibson scale to boot!

So I guess I'm keeping it for that time I get a terrible urge to build something again.

Sigh.

I suppose I have sufficiently proven myself I don't have too many guitars and could use another Prophecy as well :-)