Thread: Fender Stratocaster

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad

I'm missing what the problem is here.
    I probably will buy the £289 one.

But the problem is that the £289 guitar - specs wise - is no different from most of the £1000+ models. Why are they doing that? The off-chance that someone will overlook all of the details and just go straight for the Eric Clapton model? I guess there's always the chance.

They are doing that because, like most companies nowadays, they just want a cheaper and easier way to make a buck. We all got to eat, don't we? But most of us achieve this in slightly less deceiving ways. And I won't even touch Gibson as far as price - they are just ridiculous; you are very right there.

As far as import costs are concerned, I find that's irrelevant, because by the time they get here, the prices have been re-adjusted and are still just as much of a piss-take.

Some are made in America, yes, and they will cost more, I understand that - but most of them are not made in America. Most of them are not hand-made. And most of them are the same - except for their price tags which will vary from £289-to £K's. My problem is that I think this is shameful.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Some are made in America, yes, and they will cost more, I understand that - but most of them are not made in America. Most of them are not hand-made. And most of them are the same - except for their price tags which will vary from £289-to £K's. My problem is that I think this is shameful.
    Welcome to capitalism lad.

Honestly, I'm not seeing the shameful bit here. Anyone can go to Fender's website(s) and compare specs on the various models. It's not like they're deceiving anyone about any facts material to making an informed choice about purchasing their products. Prices are set on what the market will bear.

With the freedom of a free market system comes a responsibility on purchasers' parts to become educated shoppers, and it would appear you've done that.

Caveat emptor, baby.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Look on the bright side, at least they are not Gibson Strats. I love Gibson guitars, but IMO they are one the the more over priced guitars. They have great guitars and sound, but pricing is out of line.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Look on the bright side, at least they are not Gibson Strats. I love Gibson guitars, but IMO they are one the the more over priced guitars. They have great guitars and sound, but pricing is out of line.
    Which is why I buy used, both Gibsons and otherwise, much more often than not. I did buy one new Gibby a number of years ago, a P-100 LP Special (with the irrational model name "Les Paul Junior Special") on closeout for $500. My other 2 are both used, a Les Paul Studio DC ($525 w/hsc), and a Les Paul Classic ($750 w/ohsc).

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Which is why I buy used, both Gibsons and otherwise, much more often than not. I did buy one new Gibby a number of years ago, a P-100 LP Special (with the irrational model name "Les Paul Junior Special") on closeout for $500. My other 2 are both used, a Les Paul Studio DC ($525 w/hsc), and a Les Paul Classic ($750 w/ohsc).
    You know Brian that is the way to go. If it's not used, then it has to be a good deal on a new one. All but one of my acoustics I use to own were used. My American Strat I purchased from Plank was at a good price and as I watch used guitar sales I think he gave me a better deal than I first realized (thanks Plank, still love that guitar). My Dot had very limited use and I got it for free, no better price (free is good). My ARC300 was picked up new, but at a good price and lower than I've ever seen it advertised since purchased and now that it is no longer in production, it makes the deal even sweeter, then there is the Epi SG another one that was free (company I work for paid for it).

So I've made out okay although some of it was not planned (the free ones).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!