Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The weekend Thread

Thread: The weekend Thread

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MS 150
    Saturday, up at 4:30, at the start before 6, rolled out with a few thousand others (15,000 total) at 6:45. There were 3 different starting locations for different day 1 distances. I decided to do the middle distance of 83 instead of 100 miles since my health and fitness aren't so good. Smartest move of the day! The early tailwinds switched to cross and headwinds after the first hour and then the heat and sun kicked in. Throw in endless hills and my legs started cramping... bad. The longer I rode, the worse they got.

I managed to keep going since there is no quit in my vocabulary. At rest stops I couldn't do the normal stretches since the opposing muscle group would cramp instantly. I drank about 312 ounces of water and Cytomax during the ride, almost 2 1/2 gallons. Finished day 1 in time to beat the long lines to the shower trucks and got a life saving massage by a cute masseuse. The company tent was 40 x 60 with cots, tables and a tasty catered BBQ dinner. Got to know my company teammates over a beer before crashing out.

Our shadows taller than our souls.

Day 2 started early after a deep sleep, and the legs were already toast. Had to opt out of the longer 77 mile route because of the super steep hills in Bastrop State Park and the likelihood of rain. It is strange to see after most of the trees burned in the huge 2011 fire.

I took my time and stopped at most of the break stops to fuel up. My lowest gear is 39x23, which I spent plenty of time in at the top of most climbs. Again, the winds were mostly head and cross winds, but it was cooler thanks to heavy clouds. The rain held off until I hit Austin, but I like riding in it.

I'm way short of the fitness level I needed to ride this, but knowing my body well plus how to ride efficiently made up for it along the way. I can spend hours deep into pain thanks to my years of racing. I finished right around noon and rode a nice wheelie across the line. Luckily a teammate who raises over $10K every year gave me his spare VIP pass after the ride which let me shower in the no line shower truck. That saved me from standing in a 1 hour line and hop on the bus back home all the sooner. The volunteers were amazing at every step of the way and none of this could have happened without their hard work.

I met lots of people from all walks of life, all ages, shapes and sizes, coming together to raise over $15 million (and counting) this year. No divisions other than speed. Everyone hurts about the same. I encouraged those who looks like they were about to give up to hang in there. It was fun. You see the people you are helping some times, and that pushes you forward.

I only rode about 149 miles on my medium routes, so I hope to up my fitness to ride the longest route next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    MS 150
    Saturday, up at 4:30, at the start before 6, rolled out with a few thousand others (15,000 total) at 6:45. There were 3 different starting locations for different day 1 distances. I decided to do the middle distance of 83 instead of 100 miles since my health and fitness aren't so good. Smartest move of the day! The early tailwinds switched to cross and headwinds after the first hour and then the heat and sun kicked in. Throw in endless hills and my legs started cramping... bad. The longer I rode, the worse they got.

I managed to keep going since there is no quit in my vocabulary. At rest stops I couldn't do the normal stretches since the opposing muscle group would cramp instantly. I drank about 312 ounces of water and Cytomax during the ride, almost 2 1/2 gallons. Finished day 1 in time to beat the long lines to the shower trucks and got a life saving massage by a cute masseuse. The company tent was 40 x 60 with cots, tables and a tasty catered BBQ dinner. Got to know my company teammates over a beer before crashing out.

Our shadows taller than our souls.

Day 2 started early after a deep sleep, and the legs were already toast. Had to opt out of the longer 77 mile route because of the super steep hills in Bastrop State Park and the likelihood of rain. It is strange to see after most of the trees burned in the huge 2011 fire.

I took my time and stopped at most of the break stops to fuel up. My lowest gear is 39x23, which I spent plenty of time in at the top of most climbs. Again, the winds were mostly head and cross winds, but it was cooler thanks to heavy clouds. The rain held off until I hit Austin, but I like riding in it.

I'm way short of the fitness level I needed to ride this, but knowing my body well plus how to ride efficiently made up for it along the way. I can spend hours deep into pain thanks to my years of racing. I finished right around noon and rode a nice wheelie across the line. Luckily a teammate who raises over $10K every year gave me his spare VIP pass after the ride which let me shower in the no line shower truck. That saved me from standing in a 1 hour line and hop on the bus back home all the sooner. The volunteers were amazing at every step of the way and none of this could have happened without their hard work.

I met lots of people from all walks of life, all ages, shapes and sizes, coming together to raise over $15 million (and counting) this year. No divisions other than speed. Everyone hurts about the same. I encouraged those who looks like they were about to give up to hang in there. It was fun. You see the people you are helping some times, and that pushes you forward.

I only rode about 149 miles on my medium routes, so I hope to up my fitness to ride the longest route next year.
    Very cool! Great report! I did a MS 150 once or twice but that was a long, long time ago. Good on ya!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson