View Poll Results: How should the Rev. Rawk spend his newfound cash?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardwire DL-8 Delay Pedal

3 23.08%
  • EMG Bass Pickups (probably 35P4 and 35DC)

3 23.08%
  • ASUS VH236H Monitor

4 30.77%
  • Other (Please Specify)

3 23.08%

Thread: Gear Advice

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a looper then that would be my suggestion. It will do more for your playing that just about anything. It's easy to find a Boss RC20XL for $150 or less. You already have a good delay. When you are cranked it's hard to hear any subtle differences in delays anyway.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    If you don't have a looper then that would be my suggestion. It will do more for your playing that just about anything. It's easy to find a Boss RC20XL for $150 or less. You already have a good delay. When you are cranked it's hard to hear any subtle differences in delays anyway.
    How does the RC3/RC30 compare with the RC20XL? Are they just new versions? Also, how do people got about making drum tracks? A drum machine or some software on a pc? (Don't mean to hijack the thread).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    How does the RC3/RC30 compare with the RC20XL? Are they just new versions? Also, how do people got about making drum tracks? A drum machine or some software on a pc? (Don't mean to hijack the thread).
    I think the RC-3 has some updated features like an extra button or two, but is otherwise just a new version of the RC-2. I'd assume the same about the RC-30.

You mean original drum tracks? There are drum machines, drum plugins for DAWs (I think -- probably VST plugins) and drum freeware you can download. On the loopers, many of them have several built-in drum tracks, like on the RC-2 it has a bunch...like 50 or something that you can cycle through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think the RC-3 has some updated features like an extra button or two, but is otherwise just a new version of the RC-2. I'd assume the same about the RC-30.

You mean original drum tracks? There are drum machines, drum plugins for DAWs (I think -- probably VST plugins) and drum freeware you can download. On the loopers, many of them have several built-in drum tracks, like on the RC-2 it has a bunch...like 50 or something that you can cycle through.
    I have an RC-2 and more recently, a Boomerang III. As far as drum patterns go, I am actually really enjoying NOT having any built into the 'rang. Sure having a bunch of built in patterns speeds things up, just pick one and start playing, but I found myself only using one or two of the available patterns on the RC-2 after a while, and it kind of made everything I played sound the same. Since I've been using the 'rang I've actually found myself learning more about drums because I regularly make up my own basic beats using various iPhone drum apps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    I have an RC-2 and more recently, a Boomerang III. ...various iPhone drum apps.
    Hey Cho,

So, for a a first looper what would you suggest? I read your Boomerrang III review and it sounds awesome. Also, which drum apps do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Hey Cho,

So, for a a first looper what would you suggest? I read your Boomerrang III review and it sounds awesome. Also, which drum apps do you like?
    I've only used the RC-2 and 'rang, but for a first looper I'd lean towards a boss unit simply for the loop quantise feature. Not having to be super precise with your loops is a really gentle way to get into looping. I mean with the 'rang I'll often fudge about for ages trying to get a drum beat looped just perfectly before I even pick up the guitar. With a boss unit you have drums built in (with variable tap tempo) and the ability to save loops.

That said, I haven't touched my RC-2 since I plugged in the 'rang. The RC-2 makes an awesome practice tool, but the boomerang (or indeed the RC20XL) takes things to a whole new level. I love having four loop channels to play with and being able to bring them in and out at will.

I was looking at the RC20XL second hand, but they are just so rare over here. My suggestion (after all that) would be to look for a used RC-2 to get you started. Now there's a new one, I'd expect them to be showing up pretty cheap. If you think you will quickly outgrow only having one channel to pile loops on, I'd look for one of the cheap RC20XL's everyone seems to keep saying are out there.

Drum apps, well I use an app called finger drums mostly, but it's far from perfect. I mainly just use the kick and snare and it has a nice dirty acoustic sound to it, but it's laggy as hell. Takes some getting used to. I also use an app called, imaginatively, drum beats, which has 44 built in drum patterns that are quite nice. I'm still on the lookout for a killer drum app that I don't need to learn how to program drums to use though.

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Hope that helps
    It did, thanks!