Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
The book began a massive obsession for me at age 11.

Same here. 5th grade, our teacher read it aloud to us. Started a yearly obsession with the entire series for a long, long time. The issue for me when the Trilogy films were coming out were my mental images I had crafted for myself, based on book cover art, calendars and novelties that were available back then, etc. But fortunately, Jackson put included those original artists in a team of designers that made the look of the film fit eerily with my mental visions. Some slight differences, my forests were more western WA coastal looking than the NZ mountains to some extent, but basically was there.

I did not like some of the cutting of the material, and did not like some of the supplemental material (Aragorn and Eowynn romance stuff) but was glad that the basic flavor of the books was mostly retained. Of course Jackson highlighted the battle stuff more than I would have preferred, but overall a good job. I am hoping for the same here. The scene in Bilbo's home as they are preparing to leave looks visually much as I had it in my head. I did not realize it was going to be two films. I think they can do the book in one. But, as I still read the books with my kids, and plan to start with my youngest daughter this year when we finish with the Potter books, I am confident I can keep the books in their treasured place, and enjoy Jackson's movie for what it is.