Thread: Open Mics nights anyone...?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to an open-mic-ish thing here a couple of times, mainly to play, but it's one where you need to reserve time in advance, are on the hook for 3 songs, and 2 of them have to be original. So I'm not sure if that qualifies as a normal open mic night. It's pretty cool and I would like to explore more when I have some more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...it's one where you need to reserve time in advance, are on the hook for 3 songs, and 2 of them have to be original...

Uh, do you also need a letter from your parents or guardian, and sign a non-disclosure agreement..?

A bit over the top, IMO. A number of prospective participants are excluded by defaut, there.

Spoken word entries?

Spoken word can be tremendous fun: these past two months we have had a guy do comedy that's just riveting. The second he climbs on stage, he looks at the audience with that puzzled look, and it's off to the races...!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Uh, do you also need a letter from your parents or guardian, and sign a non-disclosure agreement..?

A bit over the top, IMO. A number of prospective participants are excluded by defaut, there.
    Well, that's why I questioned whether it was really an open mic or not. I think it's more of a forum for people to showcase songs that they've written and they like to give it some boundaries, but I think you confirmed my suspicion that you would be hard-pressed to call it an open-mic night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner