Thread: NYC Various

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Vizier View Post
    I'm with sunvalleylaw the black & whites are cool for the big city shots.
    Question stingx what sort of transportation do you take to work in the city & how long is your commute?
    Cheers & keep the awesome shots coming I love them......... I very rarely travel to the big smoke so the city shots tickle my fancy........
    Conjure up all sorts of thoughts...
    Glad you like the shots. To answer your questions about my commute...I can take either NJ Transit train or bus. With the latter I have three lines as an option and they all run 10 minutes apart. I prefer the bus because it is substantially quicker and closer to my house. Mon-Fri, there is a bus only lane that goes into Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel on Route 495 (it's actually the fast lane on the OUTBOUND side!). My commute in the morning, via bus, is 45 minutes from my stop to the Port Authority. From there I walk to the office (15-20 minutes without stopping to take pictures). Going home is roughly the same amount of time because I leave around 4pm and completely beat the rush. As for cost, I pay $218 for a monthly, unlimited bus pass that works for any bus in my zone. I also buy some Metrocards for getting around the city quickly but I don't need them for my commute. I buy them for $20.

As I mentioned to Spud, I live by the New York State border and it's very relaxing and scenic where I live - a completely different scenario from where I work and I like the contrast.

I rarely DRIVE into the city but if I do it costs me $8 in tolls and $20 to park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    Glad you like the shots. To answer your questions about my commute...I can take either NJ Transit train or bus. With the latter I have three lines as an option and they all run 10 minutes apart. I prefer the bus because it is substantially quicker and closer to my house. Mon-Fri, there is a bus only lane that goes into Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel on Route 495 (it's actually the fast lane on the OUTBOUND side!). My commute in the morning, via bus, is 45 minutes from my stop to the Port Authority. From there I walk to the office (15-20 minutes without stopping to take pictures). Going home is roughly the same amount of time because I leave around 4pm and completely beat the rush. As for cost, I pay $218 for a monthly, unlimited bus pass that works for any bus in my zone. I also buy some Metrocards for getting around the city quickly but I don't need them for my commute. I buy them for $20.

As I mentioned to Spud, I live by the New York State border and it's very relaxing and scenic where I live - a completely different scenario from where I work and I like the contrast.

I rarely DRIVE into the city but if I do it costs me $8 in tolls and $20 to park.
    Thanks for the info that is interesting... I live up in the mountains out back of the Coast & do around one hundred kilometres per day going to & from work, probably costs me around $80.00 for five days in fuel & its around $1.45 per litre, I have a late model turbo diesel ute or a pickup truck to you Americans..
    Forget about using public transport as it is useless & I need my ute for work anyway..
    Thing is it is great to get up into the hills after being down amongst the flatlanders all day & its generally five degrees cooler, I'm an outside worker & it has been pretty hot so far this summer with thirty five to forty degree celsius days with high subtropical humidity to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take the bus to and from work even with my night schedule. 27 miles to downtown in the comfort of air conditioning, so I read or listen to music. My house one street away from a park and ride so I can walk if the weather is nice and I'm on time. Luckily my company pays for it since they likely get subsidies for each employee that takes mass transportation.

No driving hassle, fuel, tires, or wear and tear to deal with! My 27 gallon fuel tank takes 6 to 7 weeks to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I take the bus to and from work even with my night schedule. 27 miles to downtown in the comfort of air conditioning, so I read or listen to music. My house one street away from a park and ride so I can walk if the weather is nice and I'm on time. Luckily my company pays for it since they likely get subsidies for each employee that takes mass transportation.

No driving hassle, fuel, tires, or wear and tear to deal with! My 27 gallon fuel tank takes 6 to 7 weeks to use.
    Now that is a big saving each month.
    More money to spend on guitar gear I reckon!