Thread: Building a 1x12 Thiele/Small guitar cabinet.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Breaking in makes sense, I just had never heard of it before... there are so many tricks of the trade out there.

Thanks for the explanation guys!

BTW, Monkus.. looking forward to the next round of pictures. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Breaking in makes sense, I just had never heard of it before... there are so many tricks of the trade out there.

Thanks for the explanation guys!
    Breaking a speaker in can also take a marginal or bad sounding speaker and improve the tone. I know an amp tech who had this particularly bad sounding speaker. He hooked it up to a sine wave generator and left it on over the weekend. He said it improved the tone dramatically.

Some speakers sound terrible when new, breaking them in can improve the tone up front without having to play through it a lot to get it broken in.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day 4 - no pics

No pics today because nothing was done to the enclosure yesterday. Ran around getting the speaker, fiberglass insulation, silicone sealant and more box corners. I forgot that a cube has 8 corners, not four. Planning to paint the inside of the enclosure today, cut out the baffle, make the grille and mark the drill holes for mounting the speaker and handle. On Saturday, we'll tolex the enclosure, install the wiring and mount the baffle with speaker. At least, that's the plan.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan