Thread: Giving up guitar

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Eric - sounds like you've been thinking about this for a while and have come to this conclusion, but if not, can I counsel hanging on a bit? If you really love the guitar, and just playing, keeping your one electric and an amp is pretty spartan and non-self-indulgent. Maybe put em in the closet and let the concerns rest for a bit while you keep on with your other musical pursuits. I think that keeping one's ego in check is an admirable pursuit - if only more people would develop some consciousness about it... "being heard properly" is part of making the music work, and I imagine that you would be pretty responsible in an actual band format about your relative volume.

I've always enjoyed your thoughtful posts, and I, too, am sorry - and a bit perplexed - about the trajectory of the Fret in the last year. Whatever you decide, best wishes for keeping on with the music.

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Wow, Eric - sounds like you've been thinking about this for a while and have come to this conclusion, but if not, can I counsel hanging on a bit? If you really love the guitar, and just playing, keeping your one electric and an amp is pretty spartan and non-self-indulgent. Maybe put em in the closet and let the concerns rest for a bit while you keep on with your other musical pursuits. I think that keeping one's ego in check is an admirable pursuit - if only more people would develop some consciousness about it... "being heard properly" is part of making the music work, and I imagine that you would be pretty responsible in an actual band format about your relative volume.

I've always enjoyed your thoughtful posts, and I, too, am sorry - and a bit perplexed - about the trajectory of the Fret in the last year. Whatever you decide, best wishes for keeping on with the music.

Ted
    Thanks. I understand your sentiment, and it's one of the major points I have wrestled with, but ultimately at some point I feel it necessary to make a decision and go with it without sussing out every last possibility.

Music just seems more fulfilling and meaningful and creative to me when I'm not playing guitar. I fully expect people to chime in as to why that doesn't apply to them (defensive), but whatever. As corroborated by my wife, life is better without that obsession. But thanks for your feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner