To highjack my own thread and further the debate Teles and their versatility... sigh, of course, I will have to respectfully disagree and re-assert their lack of tonal versatility in the overall guitar marketplace.

Ignoring the bastardized versions Fender produced circa 1972, your standard Telecaster is entirely predictable and consistent through the ages. There is tremendous sameness between the original Telecaster sold 60 years ago and those manufactured today. I can't say they're inherently more versatile than a Les Paul, SG, 335, Strat, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, etc. Telecasters are admired for their simplicity and consistency. They're revered for their classic twangy tones. And I will insist that's the most common point of discussion when people talk Teles: "The Classic Tele Tone" and not "a wide range of tones."

Even boutique pickup makers are actively reproducing historical T-tones from '52, '59 and '64. That's narrowing focus and reinforcing limitations, not fostering innovation and creating versatility. In some strange way, everyone is still chasing an original and specific Tele tone, more so than any other guitar model on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
Re the Tele.....maybe the most versatile git ever......from Vince Gill to Roy Buchanan to Albert Collins.
Heck, I'll add Jimmy Page, Joe Strummer and John5 to the eclectic list of users, but I don't think this speaks to the inherent tonal versatility of the Telecaster, just the breadth of people it attracts because it's an enduring classic. Style of play, pedals, amphs, etc. are what make a Telecaster sound versatile. Your backup band and musical genre can augment or disguise it too, but there's no denying that every Tele wants to be a Tele. Take one off the wall, plug into a practice amp and everyone in the music store will know you're playing a Tele.

So I've opened the proverbial can of worms on what is probably a semantic debate on the definition of versatility. I adore Telecasters, so none of what I'm saying comes from ignorance, spite or disrespect. But if a friend wanted my advice on which one guitar they should buy to grant them the most tonal flexibility as they learn to play, I'd probably recommend a semi-hollow with humbuckers, decent tone pots and maybe a wiggle stick--certainly not a Telecaster.