Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Guess what I'm building.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guess what I'm building....

Post Thanks / Like

That is excellent looking solder work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Don. Lord knows I’ve had enough practice!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks great.
    Remember, "failure is not an option"!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have one word.

Finally
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Remember, "failure is not an option"!
    Awright, Gene Kranz! Lemme go find my white vest for tonight's solder-fest!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I only have one word....
    And I have TWO words for you....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Awright, Gene Kranz! Lemme go find my white vest for tonight's solder-fest!

And I have TWO words for you....

Funny Owls?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Funny Owls?
    Close enough....

Next photo--completed wiring for tube sockets (except shielded cable for inputs), output impedance rotary switch (4/8/16), and speaker jacks:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man you are cruisin' along. I gotta wait until the weekend to get some work done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It's amazing to me that you guys can build this stuff. I can barely play my guitar let alone build new gear for it. Keep the pics coming!

+1! Love it!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Man you are cruisin' along. I gotta wait until the weekend to get some work done...
    Yeah, it’s coming along pretty well. Been putting in an hour or two the past couple of evenings and getting a fair amount done, even at a slow & careful pace. At this point, I just have to wire the control pots and input jacks, and then run the shielded input cables down to make the preamp tube connections. After that, it’s just a thorough check of all the connections and then start plugging in tubes and applying power! I already tested the mains, PT and rectifier function, so it’s just the preamp and output stages that I’ll need to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It's amazing to me that you guys can build this stuff.
    I assure you, it’s really not as hard as it may look. You need good soldering skills, for sure, but if you get a good quality kit with detailed instructions, it’s just a matter of following them carefully. Many of these amp kit companies have forums or other technical support resources on their web sites. Trinity Amps, where I bought this kit, has a such a forum, with a bunch of good technical info and step-by-step build photos. And if you run into a problem that you can’t find the answer to, you can post and ask for assistance.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great DVM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are all your resistors Carbon Comp?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks very exciting. I may have missed something but what type of amp will it be? I really only have Fender or Marshall as reference points. Will it be a head or a combo?
    I guess this is what they refer to as "point to point" wiring?
    After having a couple of situations arise lately where some soldering experince would come in handy I feel I should look into a decent iron kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Are all your resistors Carbon Comp?
    Most, but not all. There are a couple of metal oxides and ceramic wire-wounds in the high DC voltage portions of the circuit, one metal film across a couple of the pins of V2, and the four 68K input resistors are carbon films. But the rest of the resistors in the signal path are all carbon composite. I assume they were chosen for "historical accuracy" to the original Marshall 18W circuit. Personally, I would have chosen metal film for their tighter tolerance and reduced thermal noise, but then there's a whole crowd who extol the "warmth & mojo" of carbon comps and deride the "sterility & lack of character" of metal films. Personally, I think it's BS, but "opinions vary", as they say....

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I may have missed something but what type of amp will it be? Will it be a head or a combo? I guess this is what they refer to as "point to point" wiring?
    It's a Marshall 18W clone, and will be a head. Two channels, Normal and TMB (treble-mid-bass), with one high and one low input jack on each channel. I bought the kit in December 2009 (yeah, you read that right....) from Trinity Amps in Ontario and finally got around to building it. Yes, this is point-to-point wiring, using a turret board.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the most plausible thing I can figure from reading the intarweb is that carbon comps can distort in the 2nd harmonic when there's a high voltage across them (which may be construed by some as "warmth or mojo"). So, in the signal path with high voltage (plate resistors) would be a good spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

but then there's a whole crowd who extol the "warmth & mojo" of carbon comps and deride the "sterility & lack of character" of metal films. Personally, I think it's BS, but "opinions vary", as they say....
    Silly cork sniffers

Post Thanks / Like

...... Personally, I would have chosen metal film for their tighter tolerance and reduced thermal noise, but then there's a whole crowd who extol the "warmth & mojo" of carbon comps and deride the "sterility & lack of character" of metal films. Personally, I think it's BS, but "opinions vary", as they say....
    Why not meet half way and use Carbon Film Given the propensity for variation in sound between different tubes, I'd not be losing too much sleep over the choice of resistors, and I'm quite sure you aren't either

(I ordered Carbon Films for mine. We'll see how they go when they arrive)

Looking good though DVM! What kind of speaker cab are you planning on running it into?

Post Thanks / Like

But the rest of the resistors in the signal path are all carbon composite. I assume they were chosen for "historical accuracy" to the original Marshall 18W circuit. Personally, I would have chosen metal film for their tighter tolerance and reduced thermal noise, but then there's a whole crowd who extol the "warmth & mojo" of carbon comps and deride the "sterility & lack of character" of metal films. Personally, I think it's BS, but "opinions vary", as they say....
    This quest for 'historical accuracy' in amps brought to mind a quote from Randall Smith, founder/designer at Mesa Engineering.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/gu...gning_f-50.htm
    But as I came up 30 years ago, I wanted to take what I had been repairing for years and try to kick it up to another level and satisfy the wishes I kept hearing from the players I knew. They weren’t all that stoked with what we would now consider vintage treasures. They saw sonic limitations and they wanted more from their amps. That quest led to ...

Post Thanks / Like

DONE!! Finished it up last night. Fired up perfectly first time. Sounds great--LOUD!! More on that later, but here are the latest batch of photos (don't have final lead dress done w/ wire ties, so don't gig me on that!):

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast