Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2013 [American Football]

Post Thanks / Like

Temporarily lifted my "No ESPN except for live sports" ban to see how NFL Live was remembering Deacon Jones and I got the perfect reminder of why I stopped watching ESPN except for live sports.

They were discussing the question of "most feared pass rusher" in the game today. Now, ignore for just a second how meaningless that question is to begin with, and let's pretend there actually is a way to uniformly quantify and measure fear.

The participants in the discussion were Cris Carter, Darren Woodson and Jason Taylor. Anyone see the problem I have yet?

If you said "none of them played QB or offensive line" you're correct.

I'm not sure why ESPN thinks a WR, a safety and a defensive end make for an authoritative panel on the subject. Why not ask a panel of kickers, punters and long snappers who's the toughest slot receiver to cover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tim Tebow to sign with New England Patriots, play QB
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gland-patriots

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am pretty excited about how the Seahawks seem to be shaping up. I am just going to ignore all the Tebow noise. SF will be extremely tough in the Seahawks division. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    You think we'll hear much from his true believers demanding that he be immediately installed as the starter this time around? Before you say no, remember, this is the same crowd that insisted they knew more about the NFL QB position than John Elway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Hmmmmmm.......an interesting move on a few fronts:
    1 Publicity: Whomever signs Tebow gets automatic publicity and if that gets people talking about your team and selling more swag, etc......then that isn't a bad thing for the team in so far as the team is concerned.

2 Tebow has a good work ethic and that plays very well in New England.....which of course generates publicity. It doesn't matter that his work ethic revolves mainly around him doing "what he thinks" he needs to do instead of say "what he needs to do to be a pro long-term QB".

3 They might even keep him around because he can a bunch of things decently......all of the backfield positions.......maybe a little TE.......special teams because he fits in with teammates (working class grunts) and probably has the mindset for special teams. And so, he becomes a utility player in case guys get banged up.

All in all a no-lose move by the Pats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Hmmmmmm.......an interesting move on a few fronts:
    1 Publicity: Whomever signs Tebow gets automatic publicity and if that gets people talking about your team and selling more swag, etc......then that isn't a bad thing for the team in so far as the team is concerned.
    So far, each team he's gone to has been the worse for the attention generated. Whether or not it's his fault, he is a divisive presence in locker rooms where the other 52 guys don't want to constantly be asked questions about him, or hear from the media how much harder he works than they do.

3 They might even keep him around because he can a bunch of things decently......all of the backfield positions.......maybe a little TE.......special teams because he fits in with teammates (working class grunts) and probably has the mindset for special teams. And so, he becomes a utility player in case guys get banged up.
    Mind you, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just hear that line of argument a lot that "Tebow is valuable because he can do a bunch of things."

Credit where due, he's an excellent short yardage running back, but other than that, I've yet to see what else he can do that a dozen undrafted free agents can't do better and cheaper.

People always talk about him being a possible TE. Has he ever caught a pass? Can he run routes? Can he pass protect? Can he run block? Are there not plenty of hardworking guys out there that have done those things in high school and college and don't have to first learn a new position at age 27?

The Jets tried him in special teams situations. He was a non-factor, other than for the tv guys to point out that he was out there. There are plenty of working class guys that work hard every practice that actually have special teams experience that would be a better roster move for any team.

He's not even there to be the backup QB. Obviously there's no real QB controversy for the starting job with Brady there, but anyone that thinks Tebow will even get a sniff at #2 is delusional. Unless Ryan Mallet suffers a catastrophic injury in camp, Tebow is locked in at #3 at best. He's already proven he's not an NFL QB.

I simply don't understand the move from a football perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    So far, each team he's gone to has been the worse for the attention generated. Whether or not it's his fault, he is a divisive presence in locker rooms where the other 52 guys don't want to constantly be asked questions about him, or hear from the media how much harder he works than they do.
    Exactly........but he is a lightning-rod for publicity and in a sense for taking pressure off the team because up in NE, if you haven't won the SB......it's what wrong with you? So, if the media gets all dopey about Tebow, it's better to be asked "what you do you think of the Tebow signing?" than to be asked "so are you gonna win it all this year?"

So, Tebow is more of a diversion than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point, but pretty much everything I've read/heard from both Denver and the Jets is that the publicity he brings to a team is unappreciated by the guys in the locker room.

Besides, it's mostly the national media and the tag-along Tebow faithful that create the diversion. The local Boston sports reporters are too savvy to let anyone off the hook about championship expectations in the pitiful AFC East just because the team signed a really peppy third string QB.

I also find it hard to believe a Belichick-led team is doing anything for publicity. He either sees some potential to use him for football or he wouldn't be there. I'm curious to see what that is and how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to comment about how while I very much enjoy the football (on the field) rivalry between the 49'ers and the Seahawks, I find the interchange between the two coaches very distasteful. I do not like the public personality of Jim Harbaugh. From his facial expressions and demeanor on the sideline to his apparent need to comment on his opponents, I do not enjoy him. Coach Pete is not perfect in that regard I am sure, but I find him less arrogant appearing. Also, I have decided not to look at the comment section of any article, particularly an article about the Seahawks vs. 49'ers. The fans on both sides are just ridiculous. I suppose it is another side effect of the internet.

The prompting for this post is Harbaugh's latest comments about the PED test failures of the Seahawks. Certainly not the team's finest hour, and the more veteran players and the coach are addressing it. But Harbaugh's choice to comment publicly in what to me is a holier than thou, condescending manner just fuels the flames of these fan wars, and to me, is unseemly. Anyway, I look forward to the contest on the field.

R_of_G, you have an interest in the 49'ers as I recall. Can you help me understand Harbaugh, and maybe the history between him and Carroll a little?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    R_of_G, you have an interest in the 49'ers as I recall. Can you help me understand Harbaugh, and maybe the history between him and Carroll a little?
    My only interest in the 49ers stems from enjoying watching them play defense. Honestly, I don't know what animosity exists between Harbaugh and Carroll other than being coaches in the same division, and previously in the same college conference.

I do agree with you about Harbaugh's coming off as self-righteous with his PED comments. The league is too big to think this is a situation that will never affect your team.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Also, I have decided not to look at the comment section of any article, particularly an article about the Seahawks vs. 49'ers. The fans on both sides are just ridiculous. I suppose it is another side effect of the internet.
    In part it's the internet troll culture, but with sports, it was there before the internet with sports-talk radio. The combination of those two phenomenon destroyed much of sports journalism in America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the response. I had gotten the idea you were a bit of a 49'ers fan for some reason. They are a good team for sure.

I do think Harbaugh and Carroll have Pac 10 coaching history that is also in play. I am pretty confident Coach Carroll will keep his mind on what is going on in Seattle and not worry too much about what Harbaugh is saying. I do think Harbaugh sets himself up for failure when he talks that way. I don't think any coach dare say that his team is completely clean. There is too much pressure, and too many opportunities for young athletes to be tempted into trying to get a little edge to be overconfident in that regard.

Regarding sports talk radio, and the internet discussions, I have never listened regularly. I have always been turned off by it. I prefer the written analysis of the pretty decent sports writers at The Tacoma News Tribune, and any other decent page I can find. Though finding decent coverage is getting hard as you say. I was quite surprised, however, by the vitriol in the comments after even good and measured sports articles. Now I choose just not to scroll down there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I prefer the written analysis of the pretty decent sports writers at The Tacoma News Tribune, and any other decent page I can find.
    No doubt, there's still good sports writing going by beat writers at the major papers. Of course, newspaper budgets are being constantly slashed, but that's another issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Just announced that Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his home this morning in connection with a murder this weekend. He was released by the Patriots 2 hours later.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting story as to whether or not the Patriots are still on the hook for as-yet unpaid guaranteed money in Hernandez's contract.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...t-thing-to-do/

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting story as to whether or not the Patriots are still on the hook for as-yet unpaid guaranteed money in Hernandez's contract.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...t-thing-to-do/
    OMG........I just figured it was a foregone conclusion that he was out of any future "salary" payments from the Pats under one of those "moral" clauses. Maybe he can come up with a "Ray Lewis" type of defense of his action(s). Good grief.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG........I just figured it was a foregone conclusion that he was out of any future "salary" payments from the Pats under one of those "moral" clauses. Maybe he can come up with a "Ray Lewis" type of defense of his action(s). Good grief.
    The problem (as I understand it) is that the Patriots didn't put in the clauses that are typically used by teams in these situations.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem (as I understand it) is that the Patriots didn't put in the clauses that are typically used by teams in these situations.
    How friggin' stupid is that? lol I guess they figured that he didn't have the "killer instinct" in him. I hope the victim's family takes him for EVERY cent that he has.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the victim's family takes him for EVERY cent that he has.
    If he's found guilty, I agree that the victim's family deserves every penny he has left, but with the legal team he'll have for his criminal trial, how many pennies will he have left?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what happens when you check the news after you post.

The Hernandez story looks like it may be getting even worse. According to the Boston Globe, police are also investigating Hernandez's role in a 2012 double murder.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...DYM/story.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast