Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

Thread: SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Looks like it's coming along well, Steve! And as in any mod project, it's the problems & unforeseen difficulties that offer the best learning opportunities. May sound trite, but it's true....
    Thanks DVM. And you are so right. that is part of the motivation of the thread, other than journaling for myself: to share info I learned along the way, and to inspire. "Well if SVL can do it, and he can barely wipe his ***, well I can." As I have said, I was nervous to start out, but once I got into it, and made a mistake or two, I realized, that there was little I could do that was not fixable just by going back a step or two. Also, the process was forcing me to learn things I should know how to do to maintain my own gear.

The wiring kit thing made it very easy to go back and just disconnect and then reconnect, such as when I reversed the hot and ground on my bridge pickup and was getting no sound. Took less than 5 minutes to pop the unit back out and correct it. And I did not have to get out soldering stuff, which to me is worth a few extra bucks.

Also, it will be good to learn to do a set up too. The simplicity of a tele, along with the lack of fear of "ruining" some extra valuable classic instrument is great. The main thing was to be careful by using towels or other materials to protect the surface of the guitar, and to try and not have the screw driver slip and gouge something. And even that was not that big a deal. You can see in the pics how I used a dry washcloth to set the wiring kit down on the body of the guitar when I was working on it.

The new screws are on the way, along with Fender amp style knobs, and I feel well ready to learn to set this thing up. Then I won't have to wait until Spud comes around to adjust the action/relief etc. on my guitar!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    ...The new screws are on the way, along with Fender amp style knobs, and I feel well ready to learn to set this thing up. Then I won't have to wait until Spud comes around to adjust the action/relief etc. on my guitar!
    Is the guitar really in need of adjustment of the action or neck relief? I can't see where you've done anything that should have affected those things.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!