Thread: Lactose-Free Yogurt

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whoa, I'd love to try this if I can find the time. I'm also lactose-intolerant, but it's so common here everything is available totally lactose-free as well. The only problem is those products are much more expensive, like three times normal milk products...and I drink a lot of milk, as do the boys. BUT it's getting to be pretty much the norm that in cafeterias etc. the milk used is lactose-free and also cakes etc. are made only of lactose-free cream etc.

I suppose lactose-intolerance or at least slight version are very common here, I understand something like 20 percent or more of people have at least some degree of lactose-intolerance, and there's a whole lot of people who have a slight case of it and don't even realize it ever, some suspect up to 50% of people here could have some symptoms.

The funny thing is, I used NOT to be, I drank milk and milk products like crazy, but then I spent 4 months in the USA and when I came back I could no longer drink normal milk.
    I think my drinking of normal milk all the time kept up my ability to use lactose from since I was a baby, but the milk in the USA was different and didn't support the bacteria in the intestine required for lactose, and thus I lost the ability. I can have some normal milk, but a full glass or so and I'm in trouble.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Whoa, I'd love to try this if I can find the time. I'm also lactose-intolerant, but it's so common here everything is available totally lactose-free as well. The only problem is those products are much more expensive, like three times normal milk products...and I drink a lot of milk, as do the boys. BUT it's getting to be pretty much the norm that in cafeterias etc. the milk used is lactose-free and also cakes etc. are made only of lactose-free cream etc.

I suppose lactose-intolerance or at least slight version are very common here, I understand something like 20 percent or more of people have at least some degree of lactose-intolerance, and there's a whole lot of people who have a slight case of it and don't even realize it ever, some suspect up to 50% of people here could have some symptoms.

The funny thing is, I used NOT to be, I drank milk and milk products like crazy, but then I spent 4 months in the USA and when I came back I could no longer drink normal milk.
    I think my drinking of normal milk all the time kept up my ability to use lactose from since I was a baby, but the milk in the USA was different and didn't support the bacteria in the intestine required for lactose, and thus I lost the ability. I can have some normal milk, but a full glass or so and I'm in trouble.
    So wouldn't you regain that ability if you just drank a lot of milk again, or are you theorizing that once gone, the digestive enzymes/bacteria won't ever be back in your body?

BTW, I'm lactose-intolerant too but I dislike milk, so I only mind it when it comes to cheese and yogurt and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So wouldn't you regain that ability if you just drank a lot of milk again, or are you theorizing that once gone, the digestive enzymes/bacteria won't ever be back in your body?

BTW, I'm lactose-intolerant too but I dislike milk, so I only mind it when it comes to cheese and yogurt and what not.
    My understanding is that the body loses its ability to produce the lactose enzyme. Added to that is that milk is species specific. Human beings were meant only to be able to digest human breast milk. And then only as an infant. Cow's milk is only really suitable for calves, as it allows them to put on a lot of weight in a short period of time.

Having said that, lactose-free milk and yogurt are great sources of high quality protein.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    My understanding is that the body loses its ability to produce the lactose enzyme. Added to that is that milk is species specific. Human beings were meant only to be able to digest human breast milk. And then only as an infant. Cow's milk is only really suitable for calves, as it allows them to put on a lot of weight in a short period of time.

Having said that, lactose-free milk and yogurt are great sources of high quality protein.
    I don't drink milk (I use soy milk instead), but it's not due to lactose intolerance. I don't drink it because of what Tung states right here: Cow milk is for cows, not humans. Of course, I'm not very good at being lacto-free. I love yogurt and cheese. I think that makes me only half hypocritical.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I don't drink milk (I use soy milk instead), but it's not due to lactose intolerance. I don't drink it because of what Tung states right here: Cow milk is for cows, not humans. Of course, I'm not very good at being lacto-free. I love yogurt and cheese. I think that makes me only half hypocritical.
    Most hard/aged cheeses like the various cheddars (coldby, sharp, mild, etc.) and Swiss are lactose free. They are manufactured with enzymes. Soft cheeses like mozzarella and string cheese do have lactose.

I've been using almond milk on organic puffed rice cereal for breakfast. Add a little agave syrup and I'm good to go. FWIW, I stay away from soy products as I've read that there are substances in them that create estrogen type compounds in the human body. Added to that, most soy products are made from genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Monsanto owns the patent on GMO soybeans and have actively persecuted small independent soy bean farmers. It seems that it is impossible to keep GMO soybeans out of non-GMO soybean fields and Monsanto sues anyone selling their patented soybeans without a contract for patent infringement. See the documentary Food, Inc. for more info.

I've also been on a gluten-free kick lately. I suspect that I might be slightly gluten intolerant. Gluten is another one of those substances that may only trigger slight allergies in people. My boss has celiac disease and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. The bad thing is that even a tiny amount of gluten contamination is enough to put her in the hospital.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post

It is kind of a PITA to make, and the main things are keeping the equipment clean, timing the inoculation at the right temperature, and fermenting for a set minimum amount of time. It can be a hassle.

It's not surprising about your experience with USA milk. Most commercial milk here has all kinds of added crap in it: hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals to keep the cows producing milk. This is the reason I use organic milk, with the hope that these things are kept out of the final product.

I've even heard that the conditions for the cows affects the milk. The cows are kept perpetually lactating to produce milk, which is unnatural. They are also treated badly: mostly confined, and fed a diet that they were not meant to eat. From what I understand the best milk comes from cows that are allowed to move around and eat grass, which is their natural diet.