Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Bass Day: Spector Performer 4 DLX - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Bass Day: Spector Performer 4 DLX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfib2000
    is there any way you can photo it and post it (cause i'm not sure the new bought used spector bass has been fiddled with it, it hummms)

spector tried to help but couldn't provide wiring diags.
    You mean like I did in this post? I've got several pictures there, although now I no longer have either of those guitars and the amp has gone to my son. Still have the bass, though.

If you mean post a picture of the control cavity, I don't think it will help you much. I have it in front of me and it is hard to follow. the pots are small and easily obscured by the wires.

Does the hum go away when you touch the strings? I'd check to make sure everything was grounded properly first.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

OK, because I'm such a nice guy, I opened it up to try to get a decent shot of the wiring for you.

Some of the details are obscured, so I'll try to describe it for you as well. The red coated wire contains the leads for the neck pickup. The black one has the ones for the bridge pickup. All the pots, the bridge, and the jack are grounded to the neck volume pot, except for the bridge tone control which is grounded to the bridge volume pot and then to the neck volume pot. As you look at the picture, the neck volume is on the left, the neck tone is on the bottom, the bridge volume is on the top, and the bridge tone is on the right.

I can't tell what color the ground wire(s) are from the pickups because they are covered with electrical tape. The "hot" lead is white. The hot lead is soldered to the middle lug on their respective volume pot. That middle lug is also wired to the respective tone pot. The ground(s) from the pickups are grounded to the back of the volume pot, along with the right lug (if you consider the lugs to be on the "bottom" of the pot). The left lug of both volume pots are wired together with a yellow wire. The left lug of the neck volume pot is also wired to the hot lead to the jack.

The tone pots are wired with the lead from the volume pot coming into the middle lug on the tone pot. The right lug of the tone pot is soldered to the cap which is grounded to the back of the pot. For what it's worth, the caps say "2A683J" which makes them .068uF caps.

Hope this makes sense. FWIW, the nut driver is only in the picture to keep the leads from the pickup to the side so you can see the wiring more clearly. My educated guess is that these are two-lead pickups with the white being hot and the black being ground. Without unsoldering it and stripping the leads further, I won't know. I don't plan on finding out either.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123