Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
*Belated NGD* Hell comes to Oregon

Thread: *Belated NGD* Hell comes to Oregon

Post Thanks / Like

Default *Belated NGD* Hell comes to Oregon

Well folks, it's been a great few days here in the mostly soggy state of Oregon. I finished my Agile AL-2000 project, got to visit with my brother and his family which included some jamming, and to top it all off, it's HNGD here at casa FrankenFretter.

I've been following Syo's progress as he went from dream to reality, forming his own guitar label and finally producing a beautiful finished product. After watching this project reach fruition, I just had to have one of those guitars (or should I say "guilars"?). It arrived a few days ago, and I've put in a bit of playing time on my Bender in the last few days. This model has been reviewed by Robert already, so I won't go too deep in my own review. The finish is the Carmine Red Metallic, and it's gorgeous! Even the future Mrs. FrankenFretter, who thinks all my guitars look alike said it was very pretty. Her daughter Matilda keeps trying to pry it out of my hands because she wants it for herself. This was a B-stock, so there are some minor finish flaws, but it's nothing that concerns me in the least. I'm quite happy with the appearance, and most importantly, I love the sound and the playability.

Out of the box, the first thing I saw was the fantastic tweed hard case. Very nice. I should also mention that it was very, very well packed. Once unpacked, the first thing I noticed was the finish. I tuned it up right away, and noticed that the action was up pretty high. I left it like that for a little while just to see how it felt. String bends are easier, of course. I have dropped it down a bit since then, and it's playing great with no buzz. I'll probably drop it some more today, and get it as low as I like it.

The Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs are an Alnico V hand-wound pickup. My initial concern was that I may not bond with them, since I prefer A2 or A4 for the most part. Once I had put in some playing time, I decided that I really like these pickups a lot. They have a great bite to them, and brilliant articulation. These are a bit brighter than what I usually like, but I tend to like a slightly dark tone. I just back the tone control off a bit, and I'm in heaven. I may end up swapping the stock caps for some .033 PIO caps, but I also have some .025s that might be just enough. Those who know me here are probably already wondering what I'm going to change on this guitar. The answer is...almost nothing. I've already put on my favorite Marvel strap locks, and I did add one personal touch; you'll see that in the photos. Other than the caps, that may be just about it. I like it the way it is, and there's not anything that I feel is lacking or needs attention.

The neck is wider than most of my other guitars, and a bit thicker. That said, it's a very comfortable neck. It does require a few minutes for me to make the adjustment after playing one of my others, but I'm surprisingly happy with the neck.

Okay, enough jibber-jabber. On with the proof that it actually happened-

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, FF! That's quite the beauty. I'm so jealous of y'all, getting the first Hells.

I dig the poker chip, too.

Now, go find someplace public, crank an amph, strap on your guilar, and GIVE 'EM HELL!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! That is a great color! Congratulations!!!

Post a picture of the case and custom truss-rod cover if you have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Very nice! That is a great color! Congratulations!!!

Post a picture of the case and custom truss-rod cover if you have a chance.
    Here's the truss rod cover:

I haven't taken any photos of the case, but you can see it in Doug's thread about his Hell guitar. I'll get some pics sometime this week.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mmmm, very tasty bit of Hell you got there, Sean! I love that red.

You'd expect the first run guitars to be a bit off and unpolished, but mine feels and looks like a guitar that has been in production for years. The details and the geometry are spot on perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats enjoy give a little hell to your neighbors.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug and Maxi.

Doug, you've hit the nail on the head. I think that has everything to do with Syo being very detail oriented, and being a very hands-on kind of guy when it comes to his products. It's nice to pull a guitar out of the box and not have to start thinking about what you'll need to change or replace. Of course that wouldn't always stop me, but in this case I like things the way they are.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

sweet !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

The Heaven/Hell toggle surround is Way cool
    Enjoy ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    The Heaven/Hell toggle surround is Way cool
    Enjoy ~
    Thanks Bob! The poker chip is from a little company started by a husband and wife. I also have one that says "Rhythm/Trouble" on my AL-2000 Honeyburst, and one that says "Meaty/Sushi" on my Agile AL-3000 CSBF. Here's a link to their site. Really nice folks, very friendly!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Thanks Bob! The poker chip is from a little company started by a husband and wife. I also have one that says "Rhythm/Trouble" on my AL-2000 Honeyburst, and one that says "Meaty/Sushi" on my Agile AL-3000 CSBF. Here's a link to their site. Really nice folks, very friendly!
    ....and thanks for the link FF! I love that Chillin' Killin' one. I'm going to do a bit of investigation tonight and see if they would work on my Matons. My BB1200 has a nasty scratch near the toggle that would probably be nicely covered with one of those. Just have to look and see if that part of the body is flat enough for it to sit flat though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    ....and thanks for the link FF! I love that Chillin' Killin' one. I'm going to do a bit of investigation tonight and see if they would work on my Matons. My BB1200 has a nasty scratch near the toggle that would probably be nicely covered with one of those. Just have to look and see if that part of the body is flat enough for it to sit flat though.
    Just FYI, the poker chips from Rhythm/Trouble are thicker than the standard issue, and there's no adhesive on the back. Something to bear in mind if you don't have a lot of threading showing on your switch. I was a little worried about this guitar for that reason, but as you can see, I did get it to work.
    -Sean