Thread: A great middle, strat, pickup for a Nashville Telecaster?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A great middle, strat, pickup for a Nashville Telecaster?

The stock middle, strat type, pickup on my Nashville tele sounds thin and weak even after adjusting the height. I want to replace the pickup. Strangely, although this pickup sounds unimpressive on its own, it sounds good when combined with the neck or bridge Tex Mex pickups.

Anyway, I want a middle strat pickup on my Nashville tele that sounds great on its own and is equal in power and fullness to the tele pickups which are a lot louder in my Nashville than the middle strat one is.

I don't know what to get that would sound like a strat pickup and be full sounding in the middle Nashville tele position.

I am thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro or an SD something else like an Alnico 5 type one, but probably a "hot" version. Also, I'm not sure if I should put a bridge strat pickup in the middle position on the Nashville tele or a neck/middle one. The neck/middle one in there now is too weak, plus it lacks tone. If I could get a "hot" alnico II type strat pickup it might sound great.

Any ideas?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Duffy,

I put a GFS Alnico Fatbody set in my '52 Frankentele, and I'm very satisfied with them.
    They also carry some overwound Strat pickups.

Not a big name brand, but might be worth checking out.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Try disconnecting that pickup from the tone circuit before you order a pickup. It really opens the middle position up so that it sounds usable. I've been doing that mod on many of my Strats and now believe they should all come that way from the factory.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Try disconnecting that pickup from the tone circuit before you order a pickup. It really opens the middle position up so that it sounds usable. I've been doing that mod on many of my Strats and now believe they should all come that way from the factory.
    +1 It may give you a bit more volume too--all at the cost of desoldering one wire.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Thanks. I'll try that.

The strat pickup sounds thin now and the tone is totally unremarkable. Both of the Tex Mex tele pickups sound great and have nice tone. I would like my strat pickup in the middle to sound real good, like a strat and it doesn't now.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.