Thread: Why'd You Lie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why'd You Lie

Couple of clams here, but this is a tougher song than it might seem at first. Here's the Hammer Daddies interpreting the Colin James version of Why'd You Lie.

https://www.box.com/s/2gwgsc7kzdxe8vttu8gr
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice playing, guys - both solos and rhythm chording.

Post Thanks / Like

Great playing on a slow blues. Your solos complement each other well.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite songs, by one of my favourite Artists!
    Well done boys, I think you did a fine job on this one!
    Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Why'd You Lie

A truly underrated track and one that deserves to be covered by a wide-variety of groups and styles. Heck, Marilyn Manson or Trent Reznor might be able to pull off an interesting retake.

But I digress... good job on good song.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Nice playing, guys - both solos and rhythm chording.
    Thanks TJ. Rhythm parts in this one need space to breathe. Trying to get that.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Great playing on a slow blues. Your solos complement each other well.
    Appreciated PBP. Our styles are much different, but we do get along personally and musically. Seems to work for fans who notice.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
    One of my favourite songs, by one of my favourite Artists!
    Well done boys, I think you did a fine job on this one!
    Cheers
    David
    David: I'm with you on that. I've seen CJ numerous times, and always impressed, acoustic, electric, LBB jump blues. He is such a talented an tasteful player. |I wonder if he gets the recognition he deserves.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    A truly underrated track and one that deserves to be covered by a wide-variety of groups and styles. Heck, Marilyn Manson or Trent Reznor might be able to pull off an interesting retake.

But I digress... good job on good song.
    Thanks Davewrites. Reznor I can certainly hear, not so sure about Manson but it'd be fascinating to hear cross-genre takes on this tune.
    helliott in Hamilton

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why'd You Lie

Totally awesome! Love this tune. Great job.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Totally awesome! Love this tune. Great job.
    Thanks Robert. Much appreciated.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

nice performance on this...

Post Thanks / Like

many thanks Frank
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Why'd You Lie

Had to come back and listen to this track again.

Thanks again for producing and posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, davewrites. I guess we produced in that we played it in a local dive. But other than that it was just us playing, witness the clams, and the H4N doing a decent job of recording. Appreciate your comment.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

I like it!!! What was your gear rundown for this and also the other players gear???................

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Why'd You Lie

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Thanks, davewrites. I guess we produced in that we played it in a local dive. But other than that it was just us playing, witness the clams, and the H4N doing a decent job of recording. Appreciate your comment.
    Recording, cutting, equalizing, converting audio file formats, posting on the Web, linking to a forum... all that stuff can be done on any home computer (or iPhone!), BUT IT'S STILL A MAJOR HASSLE!

I always appreciate the effort because I'm just not motivated that way. And, with clips like these, I'm extra appreciative because the entire clip is worth listening to--more than once.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mr mudcat. James is using his stock Strat and 65 Fender super. My sound is my custom shop strat and a mesa lonestar. Both of them are running pretty stock, although if I recall I might have had minimal sparkle drive and chorus on, and James probably his Rangemaster clone.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, davewrites. I hear that. Closer to 60 than 50 now, and I find it's a lot of work to make use of the technology available. I'm pretty much a luddite at that, but I do love the feel of a guitar on my gut and a decent amp pushing it out.
    And for what it's worth, it's much appreciated that you'd listen more than once.
    helliott in Hamilton