Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NAD - Boss Katana 100
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAD - Boss Katana 100

Post Thanks / Like

Default NAD - Boss Katana 100

After hearing about these amps and reading through a 400 page thread on The Gear Page, I took a bite. I bought the 50 and was so hooked I returned it for the 100. Took advantage of a Labor Day sale at Sam Ash and traded my Laney Cub 12R for it. Sweetness!

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

2. Likes shupe13 liked this post
    Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you like about it? I tried a small one and didn't get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stingx.........seriously considering getting the Katana 100 combo or head. How does it take pedals? How is the CLEAN sound?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    What do you like about it? I tried a small one and didn't get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Robert.

What I like about it is it isn't a modeler. It is made to emulate Class A/B power amp. Loaded with Boss DSP effects. I like the portability, the sound, and how I don't have to play around like back in the day with my Line 6 stuff. All tweaking and farting around instead of playing. To my ears these amps, as well as the Roland Blues Cube, sound fantastic. I can EASILY get a clean on the edge of breakup sound and can get close to that vintage EVH tone. All in one piece of hardware. Like anything else, your mileage will vary and different strokes for different folks. This amp has a HUGE following with guys that are into some seriously overpriced amps. The kind you take several mortgages out for. I go by my ears. I was curious about the buzz and then tried for myself. I didn't buy the first few times. I then heard some demos that made me rethink and I wasn't really using the Laney much and got a great trade on it so it was really not that difficult a decision.

-Pete

6. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Hey Stingx.........seriously considering getting the Katana 100 combo or head. How does it take pedals? How is the CLEAN sound?
    It's made for that. The 100s have FX loop so you can place FX the right way. I plan to use it with the GA-FC footswitch and built in Boss fx alone. I wanted tone + portability for gatherings and small halls.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pure heaven, Robert!

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

An amp is as good as it cut through in a band context. I think the Katana is a really cool amp, but does it cut?
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    An amp is as good as it cut through in a band context. I think the Katana is a really cool amp, but does it cut?
    All the 100 watt models cut like a knife. Here's an example of a live gig:

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds promising. Hope the crunch and distorted sounds cut as well ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Sounds promising. Hope the crunch and distorted sounds cut as well ;-)
    You tell me, Jimi. Here's a short clip of the Katana recorded via USB into my Focusrite Scarlett.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I traded in two Telecasters toward the Goldtop the day after Christmas. It had been awhile since I had a Lester and I’ve GASed for a GT for 40 years. I had $400 left over so I just started trying out low watt tube amps and desktop amps. About 15 in all. I was hell bent on a VOX 4w to match my AC30CC2. I plugged into the Katana 100 and my search was over. The amp is amazing. I’m a tube guy through and through but they are heavy and are a pain in the *** a lot of the time.
    You need to try one for yourself. Badass. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Goldtop Lester
    VOX AC30CC2
    BOSS Katana 💯
    A few other guitars and pedals

14. Likes stingx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the same guitar and amp! Enjoy them both!

-Pete

16. Likes shupe13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    We have the same guitar and amp! Enjoy them both!
    I’m super happy with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Goldtop Lester
    VOX AC30CC2
    BOSS Katana 💯
    A few other guitars and pedals

18. Likes stingx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited my friends music store over New Years and he said, "hey, come check this out." He sat me down in front of the 100 watt combo and handed me a Sterling Luke. Man! I just about lost track of time. The gain, volume, master volume controls on the amp are really interactive. I was having a ball getting all kinds of sounds from clean to crunch to touch feedback gain. I really loved it...especially when I cranked the master volume. Ya - it's 100 watts. It totally raged.

Well worth considering and priced well. I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

20. Likes piebaldpython***, stingx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I visited my friends music store over New Years and he said, "hey, come check this out." He sat me down in front of the 100 watt combo and handed me a Sterling Luke. Man! I just about lost track of time. The gain, volume, master volume controls on the amp are really interactive. I was having a ball getting all kinds of sounds from clean to crunch to touch feedback gain. I really loved it...especially when I cranked the master volume. Ya - it's 100 watts. It totally raged.

Well worth considering and priced well. I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.
    There appears to be an "Artist" series to be outted at NAMM. One of the amps was mistakening placed on Musican's Friend. Looks like front panel access, a few new knobs, and, possibly, bluetooth and built in wireless a la the new Katana Air. Going to watch this one very keenly. Love this amp.

-Pete

22. Likes shupe13, Spudman*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

image.jpgWell I did some research and have jumped on this bandwagon. Couple of things I wasn't using and a reasonable cost to start with. Really like the clean tones with a bit of crunch mixed in. For my purposes it's about simplicity and ease of use. Honestly the tones are awfully close to tubes. And the thing is LOUD. I can use the 0.5 watt setting for rehearsal with drums. 50 watt is loud enough that it's running at a quarter in small rooms. Can't imagine a room that would need 100 watt. Not about to retire the Lonestar but this is an awfully nice option for small rooms. Onboard effects suffice for me ... Four channel presets is all I need. Clean, semi, lead and slide. I know real tube lovers will always be devoted, as I am to a point. But when you hear how much tones have improved, you can see a day when tubes may be a pleasant anachronism.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I'm in the market (very happy with my Jet City, thank you), but I'd like to try one of these with my Jackson, especially to see how higher gain models work. I've always been content with clean stuff, but it's wear we get ripping where things tend to fall down. I've heard very good things about this little amph, though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

25. Likes shupe13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.
    I agree with the 100w head being the way to go. I love my 100w 112 and I had my friend install a speaker out on it. Actually two mods now.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Late to this party, but I recently acquired the 100w 112 combo and it's a beast. Straight from the amp panel you've got so many options and great tones available, and once you decide to deep dive into Tone Studio the sky is the limit. I couldn't be happier with it. Got a nice tube amp gathering dust now - and sold my old Mustang III because I just don't need it anymore.

28. Likes shupe13 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast