Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Just bought a Tele but...

Thread: Just bought a Tele but...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Just bought a Tele but...

Hey all,

I had been playing bass for the last few years and decided I needed to shift back to guitar. My interests being punk, surf, rockabilly, psychobilly, metal and blues I decided to compare Gretsch electromatics and Fender MIM Telecasters. I know that these are very different guitars in a lot of ways but they also crossover a lot of the same space I am wanting to cover. So, I spent a couple of days playing many of each and ended up leaving with an FSR Ash MIM Tele that was a screaming deal at $579. I do really like it but find myself gazing longingly on the interwebz and YouTube at Gretschs which makes me wonder if I made the wrong call.

I am by no means an advanced or even intermediate player and would like to defer to the knowledge and experience in this forum. Any thoughts on which of these might actually fit my needs better?

I think I’m pretty well set for an amp. Bought a Boss Katana 50 that has built in delay and reverb so I can at least get the tone that I’m looking for or fake it at any rate. However, if I bought the wrong amp- by all means call me out on it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Likes stingx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you're all set for awhile. Teles are the "meat & potatoes" of electric guitars--everything you really need and nothing superfluous. If you find you really enjoy playing guitar and progressing with your skills, then additional guitars (and amps, and pedals, and....) will come in time. The Katana 50 is an excellent amp to pair with it, too. So stop second guessing yourself and enjoy what sounds like a great rig!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

4. Likes Jason_Hegel, dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo nailed it. In terms of flexibility and simplicity ... To allow you to focus on playing not fiddling ... You can't go wrong with a decent tele. I keep a 12-year-old Baja tele in my closest circle. Planning on downsizing soon, but that guitar stays in my hands.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

6. Likes Jason_Hegel, dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks gentlemen. Talked me down. Was near to hauling the tele back to the store and getting something else. Second guessing myself when what I really need to do is explore what this guitar and amp can do for me as far as different tones.

Thanks again for the feedback and help. Cheers!

8. Likes dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can I will add that for a MIM, 580 bucks is slightly expensive I would rather buy a used instrument specially MIJ I bet you can actually find one for this prize. Actually the Classic Player series are pretty good intrument
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

10. Likes dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    If I can I will add that for a MIM, 580 bucks is slightly expensive....
    For a standard MIM Tele, I would agree, but for the FSR Ash model, I think $580 is a very good price. They normally go for $700 for a new one.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

12. Likes Jason_Hegel, dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    For a standard MIM Tele, I would agree, but for the FSR Ash model, I think $580 is a very good price. They normally go for $700 for a new one.
    Yep. That’s the guitar and deal that I got.

14. Likes dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got some bad news: there will always be GAS. There will always be some new guitar to chase. I've finally gotten to the point where GAS has abated somewhat but then I page through Premier Guitar or something and then . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

16. Likes Jason_Hegel, dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Got some bad news: there will always be GAS. There will always be some new guitar to chase. I've finally gotten to the point where GAS has abated somewhat but then I page through Premier Guitar or something and then . . .
    Haha.
    I have heard of it before and mentioned to my wife that this is probably what is going on more than anything. Pretty bad to have GAS before I’ve even broke my new guitar in!

18. Likes dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Hegel View Post
    Haha.
    I have heard of it before and mentioned to my wife that this is probably what is going on more than anything. Pretty bad to have GAS before I’ve even broke my new guitar in!
    Beware!! Or THIS could happen to you, too!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

20. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a long-ago member of the Fret once said, "GAS never sleeps"! Speaking if GAS, how do you like the 72 reissue Tele, Vood? Did you add the Bigsby? Do you know how much it weighs?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Lawd have mercy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    ....how do you like the 72 reissue Tele, Vood? Did you add the Bigsby? Do you know how much it weighs?
    Love it! Full story is here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/22055

I've had the guitar for over 3 years now. It's a regular part of my church praise band guitar rotation. The Curtis Novak wide-range humbuckers in this guitar give a nice middle ground between single coils and traditional humbuckers--fatter and higher output than the former, but more top end and string definition than the latter. The Bigsby certainly adds some weight, but I don't find the guitar to be excessively heavy. The fact that it's a Thinline certainly helps to compensate for all that extra metal.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed a mint, used FSR Strat for $350 @ GC two weeks ago. Couldn't resist...
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Having any Katana amp is a plus.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete