Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to revive this place

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi All,

I am also guilty of not posting much anymore, I still play as much as I can but no longer with a band so I'm confined to home noodling and recording. When I think back to 2007 or so when I joined this forum my life and the internet in general were very different.

In 2007 youtube was exploding, we were getting demo's of all the coolest gear without ever having to visit a store. Long lost and forgotten footage of our hero's were showing up online. Songs/records that inspired us to start playing were suddenly available to us a the touch of a button rather than having to search through the loft for a scratched piece of vinyl. New talent was emerging with a strong online presence - John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa etc. A realization was sweeping across youtube and internet forums that there was cool gear out there that could deliver amazing tones at very affordable costs - valvetronix, bad monkeys, classic vibes etc. From a personal point of view I wasn't yet married, my wife to-be was working full time, we had no kids, I had some disposable income available for GAS. I also had plenty of time to dedicate to my hobbies. All of these factors were the back drop to vibrant online discussion at theFret.

Fast forward to today and the whole newness of youtube is gone, I can't recall the last time I saw something on YT that blew my mind. I'm pretty happy with my gear and have no disposable income to spend on new gear anyway. My 2 kids eat up most of my time so any free time I get to spend on hobbies usually involves me playing guitar and therefore I don't get time to post on forums much anymore. Life is good though and I'm in a very happy place.

I will also say (just being honest here) that for me the vibe and user experience here diminished somewhat with the upgrade/makeover that happened a couple of years back. I can't put my finger on why! We had the same members but it just didn't feel the same for me. I really do hope this place survives and like other's have said I have very fond memories of the interactions I had here. I hope to contribute more in the future when time permits. I do enjoy home recording a lot now so that may be where I focus my contributions in the future.

Bring back the online Jams!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lev-

Glad to hear you're doing well. I think what you described is probably pretty common: happy with gear, novelty of online communities and youtube wearing off, and life priorities having shifted. So it goes -- if everything was the same all of the time, life would be pretty boring.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are in a good place in life; good to hear from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi Lev-

Glad to hear you're doing well. I think what you described is probably pretty common: happy with gear, novelty of online communities and youtube wearing off, and life priorities having shifted. So it goes -- if everything was the same all of the time, life would be pretty boring.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are in a good place in life; good to hear from you.
    #1 - good to hear from you Lev, and glad to hear that life is treating you well!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's kind of funny to consider that this topic is onto it's fourth page and 60 responses...! There's still some life in the old forum left, even if it's in a conversation about its sad state

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to find this thread this evening. I'm one who found MUCH value in this particular forum, and has not been around in a while. I do have one brand specific forum I became an involved member at, and they actually get together once a year, so that inherently adds to the community feel. Also a new job over a year ago changed my computer habits dramatically, so what little time I have was spent checking in over there.

I've missed the more generalist leanings of this place however. What made me come lurking was that a poster at that other forum was building a custom guitar, and used a Hell guitar TRC. I got a kick out of that. Felt like it was a family member showing up on the evening news..."hey..I KNOW that guy!"

I had to come around and check in. I also recall the lively "now playing" thread where I learned a TON! and yes, feeling like I was part of SYO's R&D dept. was cool. Between Robert and DVM, any guitar related question I have can be answered here with no pretentiousness at all. I like that. I hope we can find a way to revive things a bit. I'll try to stir the pot.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Hi All,

I am also guilty of not posting much anymore.

I will also say (just being honest here) that for me the vibe and user experience here diminished somewhat with the upgrade/makeover that happened a couple of years back. I can't put my finger on why! We had the same members but it just didn't feel the same for me. I really do hope this place survives and like other's have said I have very fond memories of the interactions I had here. I hope to contribute more in the future when time permits. I do enjoy home recording a lot now so that may be where I focus my contributions in the future.

Bring back the online Jams!!!

Unfortunately, I think that "makeover" did have a widespread affect on the way people looked at what they thought was "their" forum, in some small way.

Suddenly there were membership fees in order to have certain "rights" to post your equipment, signatures, and things like that. Things that participants were already used to being able to do, and suddenly were no longer able to do.

I'm sure contributions are needed, but the strategy to develop more contributions that was incorporated had the affect, I think, to drive people away, make them feel marginalized and ripped off - just from a simple feeling they got. Like someone just stole your candy.

I'd say open the forum back up to signatures, equipment lists, etc. This may be too late to do that effectively though, because people remember what happened and they still feel the sting of the carpet being pulled out from under them.

This is something to consider, even if you have always been a financially contributing member.

It made the forum a "stratified" environment where this person got more privileges than that person, however justifiable that approach may have seemed at the time to the originator of the idea. All of the sudden people with "x" title had more status than others - something like the social structure in some countries where only certain titled people can sit at certain tables in restaurants. Americans don't dig that type of arrogant imposition of social status that's based on financial contribution and a sort of economic status. It made people that didn't donate feel like they were lesser members and looked at as free loaders; consequently getting limited rights on the forum. That turned some people off believe it or not - even if you think such an outlook is preposterous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep that was it for me. I was starting to write articles on projects of mine, guitar refinish and such, and suddenly I would have had to pay to have such threads. That seemed weird as usually sites pay for such content, or at least reward in some way, be it credibility points or trophies or whatever, here it suddenly seemed the forum started to punish you the more the more you wanted to post and be involved. That's why I left.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments! The membership structure is very similar to many others, like The Gear Page, Strat-Talk, TDPRI, acousticguitarforum, etc.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't go to those either.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've logged on once or twice for about 2 or 3 years now. Maybe life got in the mostly or my cyber broswing habits changed but I've always enjoy the time I've spent here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234