Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NGD: My new Tribute Les Paul

Thread: NGD: My new Tribute Les Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD: My new Tribute Les Paul

She just arrived last night. Duff already gave a review, so I'll just cover the things that are unique to my own experience.

1) I've always felt that my Vox Night Train was a bit flat, tonally. I could never get much bottom end out of it, even with the new 2x12 cab I just acquired off of Craig's List. With this LP, the bottom end is very present, and so are the mids.

2) Although it was very nearly in tune when I got it, the A and D string have a slight buzz when fretted, even as far up as the second fret. Might need a slight truss rod adjustment.

3) The strings turned my fingers almost black within a few minutes of playing. They sound bright and new, but they have some nasty residue on them from something.

4) It sounds great through both the Night Train and the Marshall. It has that trademark Les Paulâ„¢ sound, as well it should, and the neck pickup is sweet and mellow. It does seem to be less sweet than my brother's Epi LP Standard, though. Might be just my imagination, but then again maybe not. We'll have to A/B them when he comes down to visit next month.

And of course, this thread would be meaningless without pics, so:
    Last edited by FrankenFretter; February 27th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Sean!

That's a mighty fine looking LP! It looks like Christmas day for the two of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter

3) The strings turned my fingers almost black within a few minutes of playing. They sound bright and new, but they have some nasty residue on them from something.
    Maybe they rubbed the entire guitar with some sort of polish? Have you tried running a clean rag with a little isopropyl alcohol along the strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Maybe they rubbed the entire guitar with some sort of polish? Have you tried running a clean rag with a little isopropyl alcohol along the strings?
    Nope, haven't tried that yet, Don. I may just change the strings, and give the whole thing a good rubdown, so to speak. I just need to decide whether I want 9s or 10s on her. I'm leaning toward the 10s, I think.

Here's how bad it was last night:
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I had that happen with my old Floyd Rose guitar. It was actually coming off the fretboard.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Sean very nice indeed!!! I am curious what the tags are on the tone knobs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice, Sean! I'd love to have one myself.
    That's the problem with GAS... it is contagious!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Very nice Sean very nice indeed!!! I am curious what the tags are on the tone knobs?
    The tags are explaining the series/parallel push/pull switching. I do wish this had come with the top-hat knobs instead of speed knobs.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice LP!

A member at an amp forum I belong to had the same problem. He never did figure out where it was coming from, either the strings or the fretboard.

I suspect the fretboard.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sean!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I had that happen with my old Floyd Rose guitar. It was actually coming off the fretboard
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE
    A member at an amp forum I belong to had the same problem. He never did figure out where it was coming from, either the strings or the fretboard.
    I suspect the fretboard.
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to give the fretboard a good cleaning. Right now I have a hard time doing anything that doesn't involve playing her, though. The finger staining seems to be abating somewhat now, maybe due to it getting worn off by constant use. I'm at work today, and all I can think about is coming home to play the new guitar. Frustrating and distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Very nice, Sean! I'd love to have one myself.
    That's the problem with GAS... it is contagious!
    Doug, you should get one. I see you already have a Les Paul Jr, so why not get a grown up LP to babysit Junior?
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I love plaintops. What is the Tribute a tribute to, btw?

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet lookin' gitfiddle. Love those CSB LP's!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Congrats! I love plaintops. What is the Tribute a tribute to, btw?
    I believe the tribute is to the man himself, Mr. Les Paul. Or it could be a tribute to the Les Pauls of the 60s. Of course, for all I know it could be a tribute to fish tacos. Mmmmm....fish tacos....
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Oh, this was going along so well until the fish tacos. Yumm, I loves me some fishy tacos.

I think I've had some D'addarios on my acoustic that left a dark gray residue on my fingers.

Bass strings don't to that to you.

Go get a bass.

I can't wait to get my non-stained hands on her and hear how she screams.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Framus Golden Television (honest!) in the 70s that had a fingerboard dyed black to look like ebony. It used to turn my fingers black in a few minutes playing. Same goes for a couple of cheap fiddles I've played now I come to think of it.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience