Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Using a radius gauge to help with setup

Thread: Using a radius gauge to help with setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using a radius gauge to help with setup

Ive been using a radius gauge lately to help me dial in the action and bridge saddle heights, its really been making setups easy once I got used to using it...I lay it across the strings, it helps if you have a good light source behind it, and then I raise the saddles till I cant see the light reflecting off the string(under the gauge), getting all of them in a nice uniform arc/radius.

I made this one from a template I found online. And for the record, Im probably not using this for its intended purpose, but I find it works quite well...thought Id share.

It kinda helps if you get both of your E strings as low as you can first, and then raise or lower the middle strings to complete the arc/radius.

BTW its easy to figure out what radius your neck is just by eye balling it with the gauge, no need to take the strings off...just sayin...in case you were wondering:

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both noted on the template. I purchased a bone saddle for an acoustic from a guy over in England and he sent me a set made out of some kind of ply material (almost like leather). I never gave any thought to using them the way you are - thanks for the tip.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

A compass, a ruler and a piece of card is all you need to make one (oh, and a sharp knife and a steady hand). They are quite cheap from StewMac though. And, yes a radius gauge helps lots with getting Fender saddles at the right height.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience