Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hagstrom Viking Deluxe

Brokering the Viking deal for my good friend Sunvalleylaw opened some conversation with the owner of the business and I casually asked if he had any guitars that were in less than stellar shape and he mentioned he had a Viking Deluxe that he wasn't going to pay to have his techs put together because it would cost too much. He asked if I was able to do tech work and would I be interested in a guitar that needed some time put into it and he'd be sure to provide all the pieces.

True to his word the Deluxe showed up with all the necessary pieces today exactly as he described it. The price for the guitar reflected what it would take a professional tech to put a mildly blemished (on the back) guitar back together and set up. I think it was a fair deal. Now I got me some work to do.

Oh, and it will end up being called a "Swede" because he didn't have a Viking truss rod cover. Way cool! :
    Something is wrong with photobucket so the pictures will show up later.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it was a good deal. So you are going to post another Viking and raise the level of GAS in here? I really like that guitar of SVL's and don't need any more temptation.

Oh what the hell, bring on the pics!!!

BTW, photobucket is back up - slow, but up.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh sure, it shows up AFTER I leave. LOL! Post some more pics of the fretboard and headstock so we can see the eye candy. Those first few fret markers look nice. Yours has the "S" holes rather than the "F" holes like mine as well I see. That goes with the Swede tag. Congrats, and I am glad that Tim continues to be true to his word as he was with me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If DVM, M29, Bloozcat, Tung and others aren't drooling right now, something is wrong with the universe.

That buy is a modder's dream. I dig the Grover Imperial tuners, too. Classy.

That guitar is gonna look way cool after you get 'er done, Spuds!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

If that Hagstrom has a neck like the fabled older ones did, that is going to be simply, a great find...

A little soldering...a little "ice" fishing.... and you're going to have one great guitar, Spud.

I'm not just drooling....I'm green with envy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat

If that Hagstrom has a neck like the fabled older ones did, that is going to be simply, a great find...

A little soldering...a little "ice" fishing.... and you're going to have one great guitar, Spud.

I'm not just drooling....I'm green with envy...
    Oh ya, the neck is a delight. The shape is perfect and the little extra snap that comes from this particular type of fingerboard is really awesome.

Tim Maurey has an Ebay store - Strings and Things Guitar Wholesale This is where Sunvalley Law and I got ours.

He's offering some blems for pretty decent prices. Mine has two tiny indentations on the back but the top and everywhere else is flawless.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HAGSTROM-VIKING-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great Spud!

I'd kill myself or someone else if I had to deal with wiring a semi though. Hell, I managed to break a 3-way switch I was trying to solder in, a couple days ago, and that guitar had an access cavity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I'd kill myself or someone else if I had to deal with wiring a semi though. Hell, I managed to break a 3-way switch I was trying to solder in, a couple days ago, and that guitar had an access cavity.
    I hear ya. I try to stay away from sugar before working on it...but you probably know how that goes. Sugar is just so...yummy.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man! That looks SWEET, Spud! Can't wait to see the "after" pics! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I can just feeeelll it

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

I like the necks on the Hagstroms, good find Spud.. its a keeper
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    That looks great Spud!

It's going to be a beaut. I am glad the neck feels so good and it is so resonant acoustically. I bet building the thing up is going to be a bit like building a model ship in a bottle. Are there little tools kind of like basin wrenches for that kind of thing? It will be fun to play the Viks together when you are done. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    It will be fun to play the Viks together when you are done. :

Argh, Vikings don't play together - they pillage and plunder. Argh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, then we'll do that while wielding our new axes.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I finally have my Viking/Swede all together and have been playing it for the last 2 hours. Very nice and worth the plunder.

The fretboard is really a nice change. It's snappy and smooth. There is no wood grain ridges so vibrato and bends are ultra smooth. The neck dimensions are quite comfortable. It's more like the slim 60s type. Overall it's a very fast comfortable neck.

I still don't have a pick guard or Hagstrom crest but I'll try to get some pictures up anyway. Eventually I'll contact Hagstrom to see if I can get them.

Mine came to me in pieces because it was part of the deal to rebuild it, but I would venture that if anyone got one of the B Stocks they would be pretty satisfied. Not to mention you'd have a return guarantee which I don't get because of how I purchased mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finished photos

I think I'm going to leave the pick guard off.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's increadible

Awesome job. :

I'm usually not a fan of gold hardware, but it looks right at home on that guitar.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Wow, that's increadible

Awesome job. :

I'm usually not a fan of gold hardware, but it looks right at home on that guitar.

tung
    Ditto! Schhaaawiiiinnnggg!!! :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast