Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Epiphone Valve Junior Modifications
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epiphone Valve Junior Modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Valve Junior Modifications

The 5W Epiphone Valve Junior has certainly gotten its share of press here at TheFret.net, being the subject of the longest single thread in this forum's brief history (212 posts and counting as of today, 6/20/06), and deservedly so. This little gem has quickly established a cult following, since it offers genuine class A tube amp vibe for a ridiculously low price ($140 for the combo, $100 for the head). And you can pick up used examples of the combo version in good condition on eBay for well under $100 (I got mine for $92).

But rather than further effuse over its goodness, which Nelskie, Tone2thebone and others have already done in the aforementioned thread, I thought I'd post my experiences, both completed and in progress, with modifying this amp to improve its tone and performance further. Nelksie talked about swapping tubes and changing the stock speaker, but I want to get into some more fundamental changes here, involving making additions and substitutions in the amp's electrical chassis componentry. These modifications are covered in much more detail on some other websites, and I won't endeavor to go into the technical depth they do. But these are the websites where I found all of the information that I base my following comments upon, so check them out if you want more detail:

Erik Miller's VJr Mods at Euthymia Electronics

Dennis Cronin's VJr Mod Site

Svokke's VJr Mod Page

Brian Oddi's VJr. Mod thread at Kluge Music

VJr Mod Thread at Hoffman Amps

As good as the original combo version of the VJr was, it had some shortcomings, too--completely understandable in an amp this inexpensive. First and foremost is it's propensity to hum. In fact, the amp hums in two completely different ways--a low-level background hum that is independent of the amp's volume setting, and a more obnoxious "buzzy" hum that builds as the volume is increased. On the VJr combo I bought, the former was practically unnoticeable to me, but the latter was pretty bad with the volume up past 2 PM or so. I found several different mods that were designed to reduce either or both of these hum types, ranging from very simple to fairly involved. The good news is that none of them are expensive, so I elected to do several of them and see how much improvement I could get. (Note: These hum deficiencies were addressed in the head version of the VJr, and I understand new production of the combo incorporates the fixes, too.)

A second shortcoming that I noticed in my VJr was a rather dull tone, lacking "top end". I found myself maxing out the treble tone controls on all of my guitars when I played though it. Though the mod sites listed above tended to go after the hum issues as the primary improvement need, all of them made changes that boosted the amp's top end to some extent, as well, so I was obviously not alone in my opinion. Since I don't often crank the volume up into the range where the buzzy hum gets bad, I actually considered this need for more brightness to be my first priority. I swapped the stock Sovtek tubes for JJ's from Eurotubes.com, and though the amp's tone improved and brightened slightly, the improvement was nowhere near what I was looking for.

In addition to the above two issues, a number of other mods were described at these various websites, mostly falling into the category of enhancements to the VJr's intentionally sparse feature set. These included things like adding a high gain switch, an additional 8 ohm output jack, or installing a small light bulb to act as a signal attenuator. However, I had no personal need for or interest in any of these, and opted to pass on implementing them.

To deal with the hum issues, I decided to make the following four modifications:

1. Improve grounding on the PCB by adding a jumper wire between two of the traces. This corrects a grounding design deficiency.
    2. Replace the stock input jack with a nylon insulated jack, to isolate it from the chassis.
    3. Add a larger filtering capacitor (100uf/450V) to the main high voltage supply to supplement the smaller stock caps.
    4. Convert the voltage supply to the tube heater filaments from AC to DC, requiring the addition of a small bridge rectifier and 1000uf/25V capacitor.

To improve the brightness characteristics of the amp, I opted for two additional mods:

5. Boost the amount of input signal going to the preamp stage and reduce the signal bleed to ground by changing two resistors on the PCB. The resistor change also causes a net increase in the input impedance of the amp, which effectively boosts the highs a bit.
    6. Add a switchable tone capacitor to an open position on the PCB, i.e. install "brightness switch".

Progress as of 6/20/06:

Hum Fix: Finished #1 and implemented a temporary version of #2, basically using a rubber washer and some strategically applied electrical tape to isolate the stock metal input jack from the chassis. In the meantime, the parts for #'s 3 and 4, plus a real nylon insulated jack to do #2 right, are on order from Mouser.com. At this point, the background hum is essentially inaudible, but I haven't implemented the fixes (esp. #4) that will hopefully tame most of the volume-dependent buzz.

Brightness Boost: Completed #5, resulting in a noticeable boost in the high-end, but I still want more. Additionally, the amp's effective gain was increased by changing the resistor to ground to 1M ohm, sending more signal to the preamp. This made the amp noticeably louder at a given volume setting. It makes the volume-dependent buzz proportionally louder, too! I have the parts on order from Mouser.com for mod #6, as well--a simple on/off toggle switch and some ceramic capacitors in sizes of 50, 68 and 100pf. I'll start out by installing the 68pf cap and see how the brightness sounds when switched on. If it's not enough I can go up to the 100pf cap, and if it's too much, I can back off to the 50pf. These caps cost less than a buck each, so I figured why not get a couple to experiment with?

I'll update this thread further after I receive and install the additional mod parts, hopefully by later this week. BTW, the total of all the parts only came to about $22, so these are definitely not expensive mods to make!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, buddy! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part II....

The parts for the additional mods arrived from Mouser.com yesterday, and I got everything installed during my lunch hour today, with the help of an accomplished solderer. Specifically, the following mods were completed:
    • Replaced the stock input jack with a nylon insulated jack, isolating it from the chassis.
    • Added a larger (!) filtering capacitor (100uf/450V) to the main high voltage supply to supplement the smaller stock caps.
    • Converted the voltage supply to the tube heater filaments from AC to DC, by installing a small bridge rectifier and 1000uf/25V capacitor.
    • Installed a tone capacitor to an open position on the PCB, and connected it to an on/off toggle on the front panel, creating a "brightness switch".

Here's a simple schematic of the Valve Jr's PCB, showing the mods that were done today on the board itself, plus the resistor change I made a few days ago:

Here's a photo of a portion of the PCB itself, showing some of the mods, circled in red and numbered:

The mods shown are as follows:
    1. The bridge rectifier and 1000uf/25V capacitor. The orange wires formerly connected to terminals T5 and T6 on the PCB, but now connect to the rectifier, whose + and - terminals now connect to those board terminals.
    2. 68pf tone capacitor, soldered to one of the two open C3 terminals on the PCB. The other end is wired to the toggle switch in the panel face (#5), and the other side of the switch is wired back to the second C3 terminal.
    3. The two resistors (R1 and R2) that were substituted for the stock resistors, per my original posting.
    4. The back of the new nylon insulated input jack.
    5. The back of the "brightness switch" toggle.

Here's a different view of the PCB, showing the big 100uf/450V filter capacitor , which is wired in parallel with the smaller filter caps on the board. The connection points are circled in red. The capacitor is lashed down to the board with a wire tie fastened to an adhesive anchor pad.

And here's a photo, courtesy of Dennis Cronin's web page, showing where the grounding jumper is installed on the back of the PCB:

Since we're limited to 4 images per posting here, and I have one more, I'll close this posting and continue in the next one....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part III....

Lastly, here's the finished product, all reassembled and ready to run. The only giveaway that the amp has been modded is the brightness toggle at the left side of the front panel:

And what did this all accomplish, you ask?

Well, a whole bunch, actually. The ambient hum is completely gone, to my ear. The volume-dependent buzz is much reduced, and far less "buzzy" in character now. More of a true hum, and no worse than I get with my Delta Blues cranked up. I don't even notice it until the volume is at 3/4, and I rarely play there, anyway! So the four hum fixes have definitely done their job.

As for brightening the tone, mission accomplished there, too. The resistor changes made a difference, and the new brightness switch takes it the rest of the way there. With the switch on to engage the tone cap, the top-end brightens up nicely. Makes a noticeable difference with both single poles & humbuckers. I like it so much I'll probably just leave it "on" most of the time. I'll post an audio clip or two in the coming days, so y'all can hear how she sounds.

So there you have it, Fretters. If anyone has a question, drop me a PM or ask it here. And I've got all the part numbers I ordered from Mouser.com, if you want to try any of these mods on your own Valve Junior! If an electronics ignoramus like me can do it (with some soldering help!), anyone can!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM - Again, fantastic post. Shows what a little ambition and "can-do" attitude can accomplish. That brightness switch, though, really has me curious soundwise. I'll look forward to hearing your sound clips, so make sure you have one with / without it engaged.

And . . . although you did list the individual parts in each of the descriptions, it'd be really nice to have a working list - just so one can get all the parts at once, and not forget anything. And since you already have the parts #'s - even better.

BTW - what are you running for tubes in your Jr. these days . . . NOS? I have an "inkling" to try out one of those Groove Tubes Mullard re-issues in my amp, just to see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

Now that's some great information. You layed it out beautifully, with great detail. I've never had any real electronics training, so I'm still a little "fuzzy" (how about, in a fog?) when it comes to reading schematics. Your photos with the accompanying explanations and details are first rate. I don't think I'd have any problem following those instructions to completion!

Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    And . . . although you did list the individual parts in each of the descriptions, it'd be really nice to have a working list - just so one can get all the parts at once, and not forget anything. And since you already have the parts #'s - even better.
    I believe they call that a BOM which is an ancronym for "Bill Of Materials." At least that's what I've seen it called over on the 18watt.com amp-builders site.

Post Thanks / Like

DVM - Again, fantastic post. Shows what a little ambition and "can-do" attitude can accomplish.
    Aw, shucks! (blushes) Thanks, Nelsk. It was fun, for a tinkerer like me.

That brightness switch, though, really has me curious soundwise. I'll look forward to hearing your sound clips, so make sure you have one with / without it engaged.
    Exactly my intention. Hopefully, it comes through clearly in a recorded clip. It's not a "night & day" difference, by any means--just a nice additional "sparkle" at the top-end that I find pleasing.

...although you did list the individual parts in each of the descriptions, it'd be really nice to have a working list - just so one can get all the parts at once, and not forget anything. And since you already have the parts #'s - even better.
    A BOM, indeed (that Bloozcat is pretty sharp with his engineering terms!). Your wish is my command, sahib. The attached ZIP archive contains both an Excel spreadsheet and also a screenshot GIF, for folks who don't have Excel:

Attachment 263

BTW - what are you running for tubes in your Jr. these days . . . NOS? I have an "inkling" to try out one of those Groove Tubes Mullard re-issues in my amp, just to see what happens.
    I have a pair of JJ's in there. A standard ECC83S for the preamp, and a "graded" EL84 for early breakup. I couldn't see putting $50 worth of NOS tubes into an amp I paid $90 for, and which is going to be used primarily by my son to torture his Squier Tele....
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; June 23rd, 2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixxed tipoez

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the BOM, Voodoo. Your Junior project looks like a great Saturday afternoon DIY activity, as well as the perfect way to get my feet wet in the wild, wooly world of "home-grown amp modding" .

I'll watch this thread for the sound clips.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of additional comments on the BOM items:
    1. You'll notice that the resistors needed for the R1/R2 changes aren't listed. That's because I got them right here at work for nothing. One 1 M and one 22K. Same with the 1/4 female spade connectors I used, and the wire.
    2. I listed three different tone caps in the BOM--50, 68 and 100pf ratings. You'll only need one. I'd skip the 50 completely, and go with the 68 by default, or the 100 if you really like a bright, jangly tone. On the other hand, they're only about 70 cents each, so it wouldn't hurt to get a couple.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brightness Demo Clips....

Here's a couple of audio clips I recorded with my Valve Jr's new brightness switch off and on. Clip descriptions:

#1 - My Epi LP with tone controls at midpoint. The same basic riff is played twice, first with the brightness off, then with it on. The first pair is recorded with the p'up selector in the middle position, i.e. with both p'ups. The second pair is the bridge p'up only.

#2 - My Strat, with the treble controls dimed, to accentuate the highs. The first pair is recorded from the neck p'up and the second pair, from the bridge. Again, the first of each pair of riffs is with the brightness off, and the second with it on.

With the 68pf tone cap, the effect is fairly subtle, but clearly audible. If you were looking for more brightness than this, the 100pf tone cap would be the way to go. I may change it at some point, just to hear the difference for myself. But it sounds just about right to me now, so maybe not!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM - You're right, the difference with the brightness switch "on" is clearly audible - and yeah, it does sound good. Out of all the clips you've posted, the tone that really stands out to me is your Strat with the neck p'up, with the brightness switch "on". Very tasty! Those new Texas Specials sound like they're doin' the trick for you.

After all those mods, pictures, posts, and now . . . clips, I'd say it's time for you to go get a cold one, grab the Strat, plug in to the Jr., and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nice job, my friend!

I'm waaaaaayyyyy stoked to dig into my Jr.!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Nelsk. It being Saturday and all, I'll probably do exactly that at some point!

Also, notice what you didn't hear in the "dead air" spots between the clips--hum. At the volume setting I was using, there's no audible hum or buzz at all.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Voodoo Mod"

DVM - Went to Mouser.com this morning, and ordered the parts for my Valve Jr.'s "Voodoo Mod". If they're here at Ice Station Zebra (aka NoDak) by the latter part of next week, I should be knee-deep in creamy, hum-free Class A mojo come next weekend!! Provided that I don't electrocute myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Very good job you did on this mod Bob. I'm glad the pups are working out for you too.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; June 26th, 2006 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jr. gets another pre-amp valve . . . ?

Yes, you've read that right. Dr. Ampenstein has found yet another way to turn our favorite little tube amp into an even bigger tone monster! And this by adding more front-end gain. It may just be the Wonka Golden Ticket to true low-watt, Class A nirvana. Here's the link:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eyes...._mods_3/vj.htm

Voodoo - whaddya' think? Could you pull this off?
    Last edited by Nelskie; July 1st, 2006 at 07:05 AM. Reason: It's the spirits . . . they're telling me to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

No, thanks! I mean, I'm sure it's doable, but if I need more gain control, I'll just hookup the old Tonebone to it! A lot less trouble....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken all the Valve Jr. mod information from my posts above and integrated them--plus some additional detail and links--into a webpage on my site. Makes it a little easier to follow than scrolling down through a series of posts. You can get to it here:

http://duhvoodooman.com/VJr/VJr_mods.htm

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    No, thanks! I mean, I'm sure it's doable, but if I need more gain control, I'll just hookup the old Tonebone to it! A lot less trouble....
    Yeah, I agree. The Junior doesn't really need another tube. But I think you could count the one in the Tonebone as #3, right?!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast