PDA

View Full Version : Telecaster on Open D sus4 and a tube Laney amp

Jipes
January 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Two days ago I decided to get my Telecaster out of the gig bag and tune it to one of this intricate open tuning: Dsus4 and try noodling around with my Laney LC-15 turn up to crunch. I had lots of fun and found out some interesting sound textures.

Let me know what you think of it ;)

oW_bjiINhWQ

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Very interesting, indeed!

Dsus4 - as far as chords go, that would be a D-G-A-C (I-IV-V-VII), wouldn't it? So as far as tuning goes, would that be D-G-D-A-C-D or D-G-C-G-A-D?

If any of my workings out are wrong, please correct me, I'm intrigued!

Jipes
January 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I just consider as an Open D with a 4th instead of a major third so tuning is DADGAD simply a sus4 doesn't need a 7th if I'm correct otherwise you'll get a 11th chord not a sus4

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I just consider as an Open D with a 4th instead of a major third so tuning is DADGAD simply a sus4 doesn't need a 7th if I'm correct otherwise you'll get a 11th chord not a sus4

Ahh, DADGAD! That's the only other alternate tuning I use! But I use it for entirely different applications!

I never knew that was a sus4, though. . . That would make sense about the sus4 becoming an 11 by adding the 7 - but I'm at least glad I knew to drop the 3 for the 4! :D

Jipes
January 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Alternate tuning is a vast source of discoveries for me give a try to DAEEAD it's a tuning I discover through Chris Whitley and it's really great (Dsus2). I did some instrumentals with this tuning and it's really interesting :AOK:

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Alternate tuning is a vast source of discoveries for me give a try to DAEEAD it's a tuning I discover through Chris Whitley and it's really great (Dsus2). I did some instrumentals with this tuning and it's really interesting :AOK:

My problem is that it's taken me years to get my head around standard tuning, the moment I change it - even to Eb - everything just sounds wrong and horrible. The only exception to that being DADGAD, but I use that drastically different than you do (or most people, from what I've heard).

I'll give it a shot someday - when it feels right.

Jipes
January 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
What I like is that without the already known position you'll have to dig for what sounds good to your ears and that open up your musical universe.

It helps me to rethink the guitar differently than to run same old scales or use over and over the same chords pattern ;)

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 06:59 AM
What I like is that without the already known position you'll have to dig for what sounds good to your ears and that open up your musical universe.

It helps me to rethink the guitar differently than to run same old scales or use over and over the same chords pattern ;)

I guess you're right - I need to leave my comfort zone. I'll give it a shot. . .

Jipes
January 15th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Well no one else has any comment to do :confused:

Kazz
January 15th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Jipes.....I like what I hear.....good stuff....and very different

oldguy
January 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I liked it a lot, Jipes. Very good sound from that combination of amp and guitar. That tuning is interesting sounding. I've never used alternate tunings except for DADGBD on acoustic a few times. Nice clip!:AOK:

Jipes
January 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Kazz, that's why I love open tunings they sound different ;)

Thanks Oldguy, you should definetly give it a try you will hear lots of new sounds emerging :AOK: