PDA

View Full Version : the united states of america

Squireman131
January 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
i was just watching one of their videos for lump and didn't see a bassist. i think i heard it in the song though. I have seen them live but that was couple years ago. so i dont remember whether or not they had one. anyone know whether or not they have one?

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
From Wiki:

Instruments

Ballew and Dederer/McKeag respectively play a basitar and guitbass, which are regular, six-string guitars modified to use two strings (for bass) or three strings (for guitar). The original idea came from Morphine frontman Mark Sandman, with whom Ballew had previously worked.
Guitars modified in this way use heavy-gauge strings for a heavier sound and are normally tuned in Drop D, though the Presidents play half a step lower in C#. For a basitar, the strings are placed in the D and A positions; on a guitbass, the strings are placed in the A, D, and G positions.
Finn's drum kit is by a small company, and his cymbals are a variety of Sabians.

So there are bass parts, but played untraditionally on modded guitars. Those guys are fun. This is one of my favorites: Ma5D3ChOpDM

Squireman131
January 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM
thanks for the quick reply. didnt even realise he was playing a sitar let alone a basitar