PDA

View Full Version : NGD for Me!

bigoldron
February 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Here's the latest in my non-ending search for that perfect guitar:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/Yamaha001.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/Yamaha002.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/Yamaha003.jpg

Just got her in today. It's a Yamaha 112, which, according to what I've been able to find out, is made of alder. The neck is straight and feels really good. This thing's been played a lot and put up without case, so there's rust on the bridge, the pots are scratchy and cutting in and out and there's scratches all over the body. BUT, she feels great! Other than finish issues (scratches and wear) the wood's in good condition. I guess you could realistically call this one "reliced"!

I'm going to clean her up and will probably start the upgrade process. Still have the Texas Special GFS pickups and the bridge with the steel block, so they may find their way into this baby. I also have the tortoiseshell pickup that's fully shielded (the pickups and CTS pots are already mounted on it) that may, if it fits, find its way onto her. If nothing else, I'll fully shield the cavity with copper foil and replace the pots.

I really like the feel of this guitar, but that's just my initial impression with only a few minutes of play time. I'll keep ya'll posted! :D

peachhead
February 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, man, neat find. Ought to be interesting with those new pups. Congrats!

Robert
February 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Congrats! Those are pretty nice geetars. Happy NGD!

just strum
February 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Ronnie,

Nice score. Let's see how long you keep this one. You remind me of someone that doesn't keep guitars long, but I just can't seem to remember his name.

Looking forward to hearing the upgrade progress.

luvmyshiner
February 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Very nice Ron! She looks sweet.

Rocket
February 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Why is it on a guitar stand? Don't those come with a kickstand?

tunghaichuan
February 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cool. Those Yamaha guitars offer tremendous bang for the buck. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

tung

just strum
February 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Why is it on a guitar stand? Don't those come with a kickstand?

You are thinking of a different model, but this one comes with an electric starter. I guess it's one of those trade offs we sometimes have to make.

marnold
February 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
When I was first getting back into guitar, a friend of mine that played recommended a Pacifica like that. In retrospect, I should have listened.

mrmudcat
February 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
nice!:bravo:

Spudman
February 3rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Congrats. Those are petty nice. I trust it was a good deal? Also, it wasn't one of the recalled ones was it?

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Looks very cool! Congrats Ron!

bigoldron
February 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! This week is NOT shaping up for me to find the time to start learning about my new toy, so any mods will have to wait until next week. :(

Ronnie,

Nice score. Let's see how long you keep this one. You remind me of someone that doesn't keep guitars long, but I just can't seem to remember his name.

Looking forward to hearing the upgrade progress.

If nothing else, I'll keep her until AT LEAST the first of next week (see above comment)! :D I'm actually thinking I might hang onto this one for a while. The body's in fairly good shape and the neck seems right, so it's a good starting point for building my own version of a "Super Strat". :bravo: :D

BTW, does that guy's name rhyme with "Mark"? :rotflmao:

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I've read good things about the guitar here and there, so you may have a keeper (my definition - one to two months).

If it plays nice and sounds good, I wouldn't be concerned about the body shape - you're not entering it in a guitar show.

Brian Krashpad
February 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Congrats Ron, dunno how I missed this previously.

I've heard lots of good things about Pacificas, though somewhat more typically about the higher-end ones (sfaik the model numbers go up as the expense does, so I think the 112 is the most basic model). I'm guessing it wasn't much dosh?

bigoldron
February 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Congrats Ron, dunno how I missed this previously.

I've heard lots of good things about Pacificas, though somewhat more typically about the higher-end ones (sfaik the model numbers go up as the expense does, so I think the 112 is the most basic model). I'm guessing it wasn't much dosh?

Around one Benjamin. The EG series is their very bottom, with basswood bodies. The Pacifica's (from what I can tell) tend to be a little better. The 012 is agathis and the 112's are alder bodies. It plays really good. The GFS trem block kit made a nice difference. Waiting on a pickup to replace the hb in the bridge. She sounds pretty good now - should really rock one the new pup's in. :D