PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Traffic in Orbit

just strum
February 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I can remember people warning that the amount of "space junk" orbiting Earth would some day cause problems as it increases in quantity. I'm sure this has happened before, but I don't recall reading about space collisions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29212634/

Tot, be careful out there - you are the only non-Earthling fretter that we know of and we don't want you getting hurt.

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I can remember people warning that the amount of "space junk" orbiting Earth would some day cause problems as it increases in quantity. I'm sure this has happened before, but I don't recall reading about space collisions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29212634/

Tot, be careful out there - you are the only non-Earthling fretter that we know of and we don't want you getting hurt. Don't worry about me. I'd choose to burn out in the atmosphere rather than land in Texas. ;)

Somehow CB & Shiner survived the aftereffects of the landing.

SuperSwede
February 16th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Don't worry about me. I'd choose to burn out in the atmosphere rather than land in Texas. ;)

:D

So are you planning to visit your homeplanet for the coming easter party?

Bloozcat
February 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Space junk? No problem...that's what hull plating and shields are for. Everybody knows that...:confused:

Now we get to sit and wonder when and where the large chunks of debris from that satellite crash will blaze through the atmosphere and crash. I'm hoping the ocean or Siberia...:eek:

luvmyshiner
February 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Saw a video of a fireball on the news last night. Apparently a chunk came down between Waco and Hillsboro (about thirty miles away)

Plank_Spanker
February 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so. There should be an international referendum to de-orbit LEO satellites once their useful lives are finished...............................just save a little fuel to bring it down safely.

just strum
February 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so. There should be an international referendum to de-orbit LEO satellites once their useful lives are finished...............................just save a little fuel to bring it down safely.

That's right you are a space observer with the telescope (aka: Gatling gun) in the back yard. You should warn Shiner about incoming.

luvmyshiner
February 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
The "official" word now is that it was not debris from the colliding satellites, but they don't know what it was. My best bet is that Tot dumped his space toilet over Waco. We get that a lot, we call 'em "space peanuts".:D

tot_Ou_tard
February 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM
That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so. Tell me about it. It used to be a great neighborhood & now the place has been run into the ground.

That's right you are a space observer with the telescope (aka: Gatling gun) in the back yard.
No kidding. Scares the space peanuts out of me every time he points it my way.

Luckily they land on Shiner, so no harm done.

just strum
February 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Luckily they land on Shiner, so no harm done.

Beer nuts.:D

Bloozcat
February 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Kind of funny how one subject begins, and other strange coincidences follow. I was watching some marathon on the Sci-Fi channel today of the weird, dark comedy show Dead Like Me. The first episode begins with a piece of Russian space junk burning up in the atmosphere and a "10 G toilet seat" makes it through the atmosphere and takes out the girl (George), who narrates each episode in the first person from then on as a "Grim Reaper".

Space junk. It's not just an outer space problem anymore. It could soon be coming to a neighborhood near you.