PDA

View Full Version : Movies you can't watch anymore!

Jimi75
March 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM
What are the movies you can definitely not watch anymore, may it be because your oldtime heros seem ridiculous now or that you have seen this movie "a thousand" times...???

Well, to me...mhhh...let me think....don't know if I need to see Indiana Jones again...Poltergeist is in the same boat....my wife forced me to go and see Titanic at the movies, two weeks later on a flight to Washington they showed this movie on the plane...enough is enough...you know...and recently I figured out that Ferris Bueller was a pretty arrogant kid...I kind of dislike his attitude form a grown up point of view nowadays...Jaws is also something that I am through with...too many shark bites...

How 'bout you guys?

oldguy
March 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I don't need to ever see "Kindergarten Cop" with Arnold again.

Also, as our kids grew up they had a thing for slasher/blood/guts movies, which I hope never to watch again. I did enjoy the parody "Scary Movie" ones sometimes, tho.
"Ghost" w/ Patrick Swayze, enough, already. Some movies I'll watch over and over, others.........once is too much.
Here at our house, we have the Roku thing thru Netflix, so we can pull up about a thousand movies/shows online and then watch them on the computer or on the tele. I've started using the television machine more since we acquired this device. There are some nice Humphrey Bogart classics.

Robert
March 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Napoleon Dynamite.

Algonquin
March 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Training Day.

I watched it once... that was it :messedup:

tunghaichuan
March 25th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Pan's Labyrinth

The Passion of the Christ

Saw them both once, that was enough.

Kill Bill Vol 1 & Vol 2

Pulp Fiction

Clerks II

Saw them once, wish I hadn't seen them at all.

tung

R_of_G
March 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I guess if I ever hung out with you Tung we'd spend a lot more time listening to music than watching movies. I couldn't possibly see Pulp Fiction enough times (and I've seen it hundreds by now).

Now Clerks II on the other hand. Once was once too many on that one. Ditto for whoever said Titanic earlier. That's three hours I want back. And Robert, you are so right about Napoleon Dynamite. I still don't get what's supposed to be funny about it.

But the one which I still feel was the biggest waste of my time ever is Forest Gump. I hated every second of that movie and could not understand why everyone kept telling me "I know you, you'll love it." They didn't know me at all if they thought I'd like that.

Jimi75
March 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
But the one which I still feel was the biggest waste of my time ever is Forest Gump. I hated every second of that movie and could not understand why everyone kept telling me "I know you, you'll love it." They didn't know me at all if they thought I'd like that.

I kind of had the same thing with "Kalifornia" with Brad Pitt when I first saw it, but then I saw it a second time and loved it...

R_of_G
March 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Same here Jimi. I liked Kalifornia much better the second time, except Duchovny. That guy just cannot act.

tunghaichuan
March 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I guess if I ever hung out with you Tung we'd spend a lot more time listening to music than watching movies. I couldn't possibly see Pulp Fiction enough times (and I've seen it hundreds by now).

Agreed, I guess we just don't have the same tastes in movies. That's okay, we can still be friends :AOK: :D We seem to agree on music, though. :dude:

Having said that, I found Pulp Fiction to be enormously distasteful. The scene with the psycho hillbillies raping/sodomizing Ving Rhame's character left me kind of queasy. That was not entertaining to me.

Plus, it was at this point that I really started to dislike Quentin Tarantino. I guess I just don't like his movies.

Now Clerks II on the other hand. Once was once too many on that one. Ditto for whoever said Titanic earlier. That's three hours I want back. And Robert, you are so right about Napoleon Dynamite. I still don't get what's supposed to be funny about it.

The deal breaker on Clerks II was the bestiality. That was a real turnoff for me. That just isn't funny to me.

Titanic sucked.

Napoleon Dynamite, OTOH, I really liked and I've seen it several times.

Agreed. That movie sucked. It is one of those "feel good" movies that manipulated me into liking it when I saw it in the theater, but when I saw it again later, I thought "WTF? Why did I like this movie in the first place?" Plus the Robin Wright Penn character really got on my nerves.

tung

SuperSwede
March 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Titanic, it was too long and after about half the movie I wished that the ship could sink at once so we could go home (my wife loved it though)...

R_of_G
March 25th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Agreed, I guess we just don't have the same tastes in movies. That's okay, we can still be friends :AOK: :D We seem to agree on music, though. :dude:

No doubt about it. We can listen to plenty of Sonny Sharrock. :)

The deal breaker on Clerks II was the bestiality. That was a real turnoff for me. That just isn't funny to me.

The deal breaker for me was that he made it at all. I am not a fan of making "franchises" out of successful movies. The first Clerks film is one of the single greatest comedies of all time and proves budgets and professional actors are irrelevant if the script is solid. The second one shrieked of "I have run out of ideas so here are Dante and Randal again." The sad thing is, Dante & Randal worked perfectly in Clerks: The Animated Series (all 6 episodes of it) but making a second movie, in color no less, was a complete mistake. I also agree that bestiality isn't funny by the way in case it was even a question. Not sure why Kevin or anybody else thought that would be funny. Caitlin Bree inadvertently having sex with a dead guy in the first one, that's funny. Bestiality, not funny.

As for Titanic, quick story there... when we went to see it in the theatre, the people behind us for some reason brought their kid who couldn't have been more than 3. When the ship hit the iceberg and there was the loud noise she freaked out and yelled "what was that?!?" Her mom said "it was an iceberg" to which the little girl replied "what's an iceberg?" I laughed like hell and it was the one good memory I have of that stupid movie.

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I really liked Napolean Dynamite. It helps to have at least visited southern Idaho to get a perspective of where the kids that made the movie are coming from.

For me, I can't watch the kids' Pokemon movies or Bionicle movies. I have to leave the room pretty much. I liked Pulp Fiction at the time, because I liked how the plot jumped around time wise, and the violence was so over the top I did not take it seriously. It was "tongue in cheek" to me. But that was before kids. I find that I like sarcastic or callous violent movies less after kids for some reason.

One movie I just don't want to see again is Batman Forever. It is a rare Jim Carey movie I can see more than once. That one, no way. Probably the one where Schwarzenegger was pregnant too.

mcgreggor57
March 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Any Pink Panther movie.

tunghaichuan
March 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Same here Jimi. I liked Kalifornia much better the second time, except Duchovny. That guy just cannot act.

I stopped by Best Buy today and picked up Kalifornia out of the bargain bin. :AOK:

I saw it back when it came out of the theaters, but I don't remember if I liked it or not. Brad Pitt was pretty scarey, though. Duchovny is okay, I enjoyed the X-Files when it was on, although I liked Millenium better.

tung

Suhnton
March 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
The Usual Suspects and Sixth Sense for obvious reasons.
King Kong - The Peter Jackson version. Rubbish.
I haven't seen Clerks II but I thought the first one was pretty overrated.

On the flipside, one movie I'd like to watch again is "Lovers Of The Arctic Circle" by Julio Medem. I'd rate this in my top 10.

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
No way Jimi we totally love Ferris Buellers Day Off we're watching it right now!

Jimi75
March 26th, 2009, 03:46 AM
No way Jimi we totally love Ferris Buellers Day Off we're watching it right now!

STOP! I love that movie, too and I must have seen it more than 50 times, I just do not relate with Ferris attitude (not that he's skipping which I find cool :-)) and so watching the movie destroys a little bit of that feeling I had when wathcing it in my teen years, so I stopped watching it and keep the good memory.

Robert
March 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/) - once was enough for me.

kiteman
March 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Someone need to tell Steven Segal to retire. :whatever:

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM
E.T.

Sorry Tot.

thearabianmage
March 29th, 2009, 08:12 AM
There's about 100 old Hammer Horror films and similar kind of films my flat-mate puts on when he is drunk that I can never be bothered with. There are only so many variations on lesbian vampires and flesh-eating zombies. . .

I quite enjoyed Clerks II (Kevin Smith wasn't thinking about the View Askew franchise when he filmed it, he got nostalgic when compiling old footage from Clerks and wanted to do it again - which I think comes through in the film) -

I also quite enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite - without having ever seen Idaho. It's all about the dude's performance. How he makes even the smallest situation incredibly difficult for himself. And Pedro. Pedro. He's the man.

There are a few films I've seen recently that I just can't be arsed with - The Safety in Objects, ANY comicbook-based film/sequel/prequel/remake, as sacrilege as this may be to some, LotR never really interested me - despite my interest in fantasy. I really cannot be bothered with any Star Trek film, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, either of the Bill and Ted films (don't put a dopey valley-boy Keanu in a film with a smiley face on his jacket and expect me to believe he's a metalhead or a rocker in general), Trainspotting, Jurassic Park 2 and 3, Girl Interrupted, Syriana, 8mm (once was enough), Planet of the Apes: Beneath the Planet of the Apes (the other films excluding the remake are top), Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Borat, Fargo, any of Fast and Furious films. . . My list can go on and on. . .

Jimi75
March 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
E.T.

Sorry Tot.

One of my all time favourites. Never ever will I have enough of E.T.! :master:

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
One of my all time favourites. Never ever will I have enough of E.T.! :master:

I think it's a great movie too, but I just can't sit through it again.

Jimi75
March 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Some couple minutes could have been better, true....but in general....great movie. One of my first Iever saw in the cinema.

ted s
March 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
No Wayne's Worlds or Bill and Ted Adventures. I used to think they were good may moons ago... not !

R_of_G
March 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM

I agree on ET Strum It was a great movie and I am glad I saw it because it was an iconic movie of my childhood. That said, watching it again in my adulthood I've come to realize how heavy-handed Spielberg was with the direction. I'll still probably see it at least once more because I'll probably feel compelled to show it to Ella at some point when she gets older. It's still a great kids movie.

tunghaichuan
March 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I watched Kalifornia again last night. I saw it in the theater when it first came out.

For the subject matter: serial killers, it was much funnier than I remember it. I generally don't enjoy performances by Juliette Lewis, but she was very good in this. David Duchovny did a credible job, IMHO, of playing an ineffectual, over-analyzing yuppie wuss.

Brad Pitt was dead on in his role.

tung

guitartango
March 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The only film i can watch over and over is Life of Brian. A true classic film which almost got banned because of it's controversy.

tunghaichuan
March 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The only film i can watch over and over is Life of Brian. A true classic film which almost got banned because of it's controversy.

One of my favorite comedies. The scene with Brian and Pontius Pilate always cracks me up. :rotflmao:

tung

R_of_G
March 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Well there's some common ground for us on movies Tung. I love all of the Python films, but none more than Life of Brian.

marnold
March 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Romanes eunt domus.

tunghaichuan
March 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Romanes eunt domus.

Yeah, that one too. :bravo: :rotflmao: :D

tung

tunghaichuan
March 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Well there's some common ground for us on movies Tung. I love all of the Python films, but none more than Life of Brian.

:bravo: :beer:

That's probably my favorite as well. Although And Now For Something Completely Different is a close second.

tung