PDA

View Full Version : Fabulours Thunderbirds on HD Net

ZMAN
March 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I am currently watching a concert by the Fabulous Thunderbirds. It is pretty cool blues. I was really spurprised to see the rythm/lead player using a 139 dollar SX SJM guitar in black with the P90s and mint guard. Amazing.
The lead guitar player is playing a CAR Suhr Strat with a matching headstock and I think he was playing a Suhr Tele at one point.
The Rythim player looks more punk than blues but he is doing a fine job.

sumitomo
March 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I like those guys.Zman I have one of those guitars and they sound great through a Blues Jr..Sumi:D

birv2
March 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Do you know which T-Birds lineup it is?

I saw them here in Lancaster a couple of years ago, when they had Kirk Fletcher and Nick Curran on guitars. Nick looked kind of punkish at the time. He was playing a Squier 51! I talked to him afterwards, and he said it was his #1.

Makes me feel better about my Squier...

Bob

msteeln
March 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It's been too long since I've seen the T-Birds and it's great to hear they are still around.
They played one of the greatest shows in memory some years back for us in the islands, with Kid Bangham on rythym and Duke Robilard on lead, tho they traded off frequently. This was the first line-up after Jimmy Vaughn split, and the band was better for it, and I love JLV!
The place was packed and hot, and after the show, the floor was a swamp from everybody's sweat. The 'Birds were totally into it and simply rocked the house!

ZMAN
March 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Make that Fabulous Thunderbirds. Sorry for the typo. I didn't get to find out who they were but the Lead Guitarist was a big black fellow and the other guitar player must have been that Curran guy. He had bright pinkinsh red haid and a ton of Tattos. They played a ton of songs and it was a pretty good show for one I stumbled on.

ZMAN
March 31st, 2009, 07:14 AM
I just realized that concert was from 2007. The band members have changed again! It was Eric Curran with the SX guitar.

Bloozcat
March 31st, 2009, 07:47 AM
When I saw them live a couple of years ago, Nick Curran was playing that Squire 51' then too. Looked like he had a Tele string through bridge w/single coil, and the neck looked different too...it was finished in a vintage amber. Might have been a Tele neck, I couldn't quite make out the headstock.

birv2
March 31st, 2009, 06:26 PM
When I saw them live a couple of years ago, Nick Curran was playing that Squire 51' then too. Looked like he had a Tele string through bridge w/single coil, and the neck looked different too...it was finished in a vintage amber. Might have been a Tele neck, I couldn't quite make out the headstock.

If I remember correctly, he said that he had the neck shaved a bit, but otherwise stock.

And that does sound like the Fletcher/Curran lineup. I think they're both gone from the T-Birds now. My all-time fave is still Jimmie V.