PDA

View Full Version : Billy Bob Thornton 'Blow Up' on Q TV

Blaze
April 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Billy Bob Thornton’s band ‘The Boxmasters’ have decided not to perform on the remaining dates of their North American tour after being booed
by Canadian fans during a show on Thursday night.

The gig in Toronto was part of the group’s tour to support Willie Nelson. According to reports, the fans were upset about the Oscar-winner’s attack on them during a recent radio interview.

Though Thornton insisted that his comments were aimed at a DJ he fell out with on air, those at the Massey Hall show refused to believe him.

The actor/writer insisted that his "mashed potatoes with no gravy" comment was not anti-Canadian.

"Boo all you want, but I want to say something - we’re really happy to be here," Contactmusic quoted him as saying. However, having faced a bad gig, his band are said to have pulled the plug on other dates.

A post on Willie Nelson’s official website on Friday read: "At this time, no reasons have been announced but the remainder of the tour will continue as scheduled without The Boxmasters ."

Bravo Bob :bravo:

IJWS6qyy7bw&eurl

birv2
April 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Zowie. What an interview. Reminds of Blonde on Blonde era Dylan. The difference being that Dylan was a real talent and innovator, and Billy Bob seems to be posing as one. I haven't heard his band, but I felt sorry for the interviewer.

I'm not sure that his "mashed potatoes but no gravy" comment, in context, deserved boos. But Canadians are pretty sensitive about Americans criticizing them without knowing much about Canada.

What a prima donna.

Bob

sumitomo
April 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Wow he's about as plesent as a fart in an elevator. Sumi:D

birv2
April 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Have you ever noticed the difference between rock musicians and country musicians during interviews? I say this as a non-country fan, but they sure are more polite!

"You were instructed to...." -- give me a break!

WackyT
April 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I think Billy Bob's mike should've been cut early on in that interview and him left to his drug induced trip, and the interview continued with the other members of the band.

just strum
April 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
About 30 minutes after seeing this, I was walking through the family room and the interview was on TV. I didn't pay real close attention, but it seemed as the dj's voice was dubbed over with some smart a-- relies back at Billy Bob.

Why do people find you Canadians so difficult. I went up there enough to see no real difference. Well, except that part about having to end every other sentence with - eh?

rkwrenn
April 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Anyone note the dude in the middle of the other three musicians is Unknown Hinson???

Cheers,

Bob

ZMAN
April 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
The whole thing came about because Billy Bobby didn't want them mentioning that he was a movie star. It was supposed to be all about his music and band. When the interviewer was announcing him said "Billy Bob Thornton, academy award winning actor" And that was it. The next question was when did you start this band. Billy Bob said "I don't know what you are talking about" Then he said he didn't understand the question!
His band was the opening act for Willie Nelson, and he got a very poor review. He stopped after 3 mins and wanted to tell the audience that he loved Canadians and the interviewer was an a__hole. He said he told them they could not mention his acting career, and said they stood their and lied to his face. I guess he figured that being way up her in Canada, we would not know he was in movies and married to Angelina, and would only know him for his music.
He got booed and in the next press release they quit the next three gigs, and went home. The band's publicist said that a few of the band members were sick and could not perform at their best. Willie Nelson's publicist would not comment. He only said this is a Willie Nelson tour not a Billie Bob tour
As far as the mashed potatoes and gravy thing I think he was referring to the fact that we Canadians are polite and usually don't get too rowdy in a concert. .
I personally could not care less about Billy Bob. I have never even heard of his band. I wish him good luck in his music career.
In the interview I was watching the other guys in the band and they had their heads down and didn't say a thing. I think they were totally embarassed.

just strum
April 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
His actions made the interview about him. If he was so "concerned" he could have easily directed the interview to the music and the band members. His jackass response only fueled the fire and made the music secondary.

TS808
April 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
That was a STRANGE interview. After watching that, all I have to say is "stick to acting". What an @$$

oldguy
April 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Who's that in your avatar, TS808? Looks kinda like..........................

ZMAN
April 12th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ok now I get it! Billy Bob was doing his Karl Childers character during the interview!

Jipes
April 13th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Sad and over reacting specially when you are invited on a set to promote your band :confused:

ZMAN
April 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I think he was more pissed about having to do an interview at 6 am. Also the fact that he had to stay behind a yellow line to have a cigarette outside!
Of course he has another career, but I really felt sorry for the guys in the band. I think they understood why they were there.