PDA

View Full Version : New pups time!!

pes_laul
April 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well for my birthday we decided to add on to my Ibanez some more. This time it's new pickups.

I know I wanna get a GFS pair but I'm not sure which one.

I'm looking for something really hard sounding but can still get good clean sounds.

any suggestions?

thekiwidisciple
April 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
GFS do make some nice pickups, depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could have a look at some of Mick Brierley's pickups:

http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/

A set of a humbuckers would cost $250AUD, which is the equivalent of about $180USD I think.

Either way, let us know which set you decide upon.

Duff49
April 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
GFS are pickups I sometmes buy and find them to be okay; however, every time I have used the more expensive Seymour Duncans I have found them to be way better built and sound way better as well.

Great pickups are generally, in my experience, worth the extra money, but I will probably still get some GFS ones when I think they make sense. Then I will wish I spent the extra money on some real good pickups.

Duffy

kiteman
April 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
The only GFS pup I'm familiar with is the Retrotron Hot Nashville bridge pup I'd put in my LP copy. Lots of clarity is all I remember. :whatever:

Maybe a set of C22s from Carvin? They are sweet.

pes_laul
April 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Though the thing is GFS are pretty much the only thing I can get because I don't have the wallet for some dimarzios or something.

But this is the one I'm thinking about http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhoblbr.html

thekiwidisciple
April 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Those look very nice mate. Let us know what you decide on...and we'll eventually need some clips! :P

marnold
April 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
That'd be an interesting one to try. EVH tended to go with lower output/PAF pickups to maintain clarity with higher gain. George Lynch went the same route when designing his Screamin' Demon. If you need extra "oomph" an overdrive pedal can provide that.

bigoldron
April 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Those look good Kris. I've had 2 sets of GFS's and liked them both. See if you can get ahold of Mrmudcat. He's the GFS expert.